Vision and Mission:
At United Way of Northeast Florida, we envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential. Our mission is to solve our community’s toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is not only valued and demonstrated in our hiring practices, it is a fundamental part of our mission throughout our organization and the communities we serve.
Purpose of Position:
United Way of Northeast Florida is seeking an experienced grants writer with a track record of success in seeking and securing grant funding to increase grant revenue, primarily from national foundations, regional, local and public-sector sources to deepen and expand United Way’s innovative community impact initiatives.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
Responsible for securing and reporting on corporate, foundation, and government grants – meeting financial and non-financial metrics
- Coordinate and lead activities for the development and submission of grant proposals, including soliciting input, support and approval from other United Way staff (resource development, community impact, finance, etc.) as needed
- Compile, write and submit grant applications/proposals in exact accordance with each grantors’ prescribed guidelines and criteria
- Coordinate input and support from external partners (program data, MOUs, letters of support, etc.) as needed
- Working closely with the Resource Development team and the Community Impact Team, utilize both metrics and storytelling to develop grant applications that support the mission and vision of the organization.
- Utilize multiple strategies such as networking, internet searches, free and subscription grant seeking resources and other to identify and secure potential national, regional, local, public-sector funding opportunities for specific initiatives and, where possible, operating support
- Attend grants information sessions (in person and webinars) to learn more about grant opportunities
- Synthesize, analyze and share information about grant opportunities with United Way leadership staff to inform decisions regarding grant development and submission
Partnership Development and Management:
- Research, identify and develop networks with area health and human service organizations and public-sector agencies to leverage common priorities, interests and focus to strengthen grant applications and maximize opportunities for successful outcomes
- Engage partners in collective impact activities as they pertain to potential grant opportunities
Grants Monitoring, Management and Reporting:
- Gathers proposal information be identifying sources of information, coordinating submissions and collections, and identifying and communicating risks associated with proposals
- Monitor and coordinate with internal partners to ensure timely information flow for grants compliance
- Coordinates requirement with contributors and contributes proposal status information to review meetings
- Ensure monitoring and timely delivery of all reporting requirements associated with grants procurement
- Provide comprehensive and accurate reporting to a variety of stakeholders, internal and external
- Track all grant seeking activities and prepare reports for executive staff and the Board of Directors
- Ensure Finance and program staff have all materials necessary to successfully implement grant funded programs
- Work with Marketing to communicate information about grant awards to donors, volunteers, and other stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree and proven track record (minimum three years) of writing and winning grant awards from foundations, public agencies, corporations, and private funders required
- Possess excellent written and oral communications, research and internet skills, as well as solid analytical skills
- Be well-organized and time-sensitive, able to multi-task, manage competing priorities, meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excel at successfully writing and submitting grant proposals
- Be skilled at navigating grant seeking websites as well as grant application web portals
- Have a thorough understanding of local and state grantors
- Utilize strategic and creative thinking in determining grant opportunities
- Be a team player, able to work with other staff to collaborate on proposals and accept constructive feedback on their own work
- Demonstrated computer skills (proficiency in Microsoft Office with an emphasis in Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Be a team player with the ability to coordinate all necessary internal and external partners for successful grants acquisition and management
Professional Core Competencies Required:
- Mission Focused: Creates real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship Oriented: Places people before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator (Includes teamwork and communication): Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial & human) through meaningful engagement. Strong supporter of a team environment.
- Results Driven: Dedicates efforts to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Understands role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
General Physical Requirements for Essential Functions of the Job:
The physical demands described here represent those required to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be allowed to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen. The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outside normal office environment.
This description does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of all team members assigned to this position. It is intended to describe the key elements relative to each section. Duties and/or requirements of this position may be modified, added or deleted at any time. This supersedes all descriptions previously written for the same position. Unique equivalent skills and experience may possibly substitute for required position requirements.
United Way of Northeast Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Environment.