United Way of Broward County fights for the health, education and financial stability of every person in our community.
General Description: This grant funded (subject to renewal), position provides dedicated case management to veterans and military families with low income, dual diagnosis, and homelessness related conditions in the VA’s Grant-per-Diem Transition-In-Place (GPD-TIP) Program. The GPD-TIP Case Manager works closely with MISSION UNITED, VA programs, as well as other service providers to coordinate services and ensure ongoing support of program participants as they work on income enhancement, finding permanent housing, and developing self-sufficiency.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Perform comprehensive assessments, including biopsychosocial assessments, to identify needs and establish goals that address identified needs, stressors and problems.
- Engage veterans and their families in the development, implementation and update of service/care/treatment plans; and facilitate referrals to appropriate treatment facilities or service providers.
- Counsel veterans and/or their families to facilitate achieving service plan goals, developing life skills, and/or sustaining success and wellness; conducts activities and monitor the service environment to maximize client success and well-being.
- Help clients to identify and eliminate housing barriers, identify housing goals, develop skills that increase their ability to live self-sufficiently, and obtain and maintain permanent housing after exiting the GPD-TIP program.
- Establish and maintain an intensive therapeutic relationship with the veteran, family, staff, and community programs/agencies.
Other Job Duties:
- Coordinate and consistently document in accordance with best practices and Council on Accreditation (COA) accreditation standards the clinical case management and psychosocial services. Will document the overall effectiveness of the case management services provided.
- Conduct community and home visits related to client needs; Provides follow-up and monitors service delivery and care environments.
- Conduct weekly phone calls to clients to monitor progress.
- Stay abreast of community resources and procedures for referring clients to appropriate resources
- Acts as an advocate helping veterans and their families with needs and solutions to achieve independent living and reach their highest level of recovery.
- Provide crisis prevention, intervention, and supportive counseling, as needed.
- Perform other duties and assumes other responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
- Schedule the Veteran Administration inspection with the GPD Liaison of the identified unit for the veteran client and follow up with issues identified at the inspection.
- Complete required check request associated with veteran housing expenses i.e. rent, utilities, and furniture.
- Compile the necessary paperwork associated with the lease agreement for inspected and approved apartment.
Supervises: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
- Masters’ degree with major course work in social work, mental health or other field closely related.
- At least two (2) years of experience in general interviewing practices and/or techniques, counseling, social case/service work (including crisis prevention and intervention) or community resource referral, or closely related work with preferred experience working with persons with mental health conditions.
- Knowledge of evidence based practices, biopsychosocial assessments processes, treatment planning, outcome measurement and quality management.
- Experience working with low income, homeless population, veterans, military families and/or service members strongly preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse audience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite to include MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meets and exceeds qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives and timelines, and seeks help when needed in juggling priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication to be effective in any team setting.