United Way of Salt Lake (UWSL) is changing the way organizations, communities, schools, governments, and individuals work to fix complex social problems. Together, we can help every child and family succeed at school and life. UWSL’s workplace is fast-paced, friendly, adaptive, and grounded in our core values: relationships, continuous improvement, equity, and results. We offer competitive compensation including a comprehensive benefit package, generous paid time off, and flexible schedules. People with diverse backgrounds and abilities are encouraged to apply. Join us in changing the world and giving everyone in our community the opportunity to live their best life.
The Major Gifts Officer works closely with the Senior Director of Giving & Engagement (SDGE) to secure funds for United Way of Salt Lake by building authentic relationships with individuals. The MGO will seek alignment with donors’ interests, passions, and the impact they are seeking to make with the work of UWSL. In addition to managing a portfolio of individual donors, the MGO will oversee the Women United donor network, where members celebrate and support the educational achievement of girls and women in our community, working to ensure they have the opportunities and the tools to pursue their educational dreams, regardless of race, income, or ZIP code.
YOUR WORK WILL INCLUDE
- Managing a portfolio of approximately 150 donors with the capacity to give four- to five-figure annual gifts.
- Creating individual cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans driven by a donor’s passions, interests, and communication preferences
- Securing 12 - 15 donor meetings a month that advance the relationship and engage donors in the work of United Way of Salt Lake.
- Operating an Executive Committee of Women United volunteers, and leveraging members’ passion, influence, and insight to create change
- Building relationships with individuals through personal contact, including visits, phone calls, email, and written correspondence
- Researching and preparing for donor interactions, appropriately documenting afterwards, and analyzing reports that show portfolio performance.
- Performing other activities as assigned
- An authentic enjoyment of working with people; you get energy from building relationships with partners based in trust
- Strong initiative, with impeccable follow-through and dependability
- Ability to relate openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people (including higher-wealth donors); ability to inspire confidence in UW staff, volunteer leadership, and donors
- Delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences (writing, presentation, public speaking, and listening)
- Adept at conflict resolution through dialogue and open communication; rebounds and adapts when facing setbacks
- Embodies our core values of Relationships, Results, Continuous Improvement, and an Equity Mindset
- Shows a commitment to using asset-based language when discussing how our systems impact community members affected by racism and poverty
- 3+ years of fundraising experience; individual donor development and solicitation experience highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent related work experience
- Extensive knowledge of the local community highly preferred
- Experience facilitating meetings and working with volunteers, especially with diverse external stakeholders
- Knowledge and experience using any CRM software - Salesforce preferred but not required
The team member is regularly required to communicate clearly, in oral and written formats, with others in person, over the phone and via other devices. The team member must be able to transcribe, read extensively, prepare and analyze data and figures, constantly operate a computer and other standard office machinery. The team member is required to regularly travel to offsite locations to set-up presentations and displays physical and electronic forms. The team member must have the ability to lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 50lbs.
This is a full-time, exempt position with full benefits. Salary to commensurate with experience.