Title: Financial Stability Cohort VISTA Leader
Reports To: VP of Engagement
Position: AmeriCorps VISTA Leader
Hours: This position is considered full-time and works 35 – 45 hours per week
Dates: 7/05/2021 - 07/04/2022
About AmeriCorps VISTAs in the Piedmont
VISTAs in the Piedmont (VIP) is an AmeriCorps program sponsored by United Way of the Piedmont (UWP), which is a nonprofit, volunteer-driven organization located in Spartanburg, SC. UWP is dedicated to improving the quality of life for people living and working in Spartanburg, Cherokee, and Union Counties. United Way of the Piedmont is a regional leader in collective impact through their Behavioral Health Taskforce, Financial Stability Taskforce, and Born Learning Initiative.
Position Summary: United Way of the Piedmont in Upstate South Carolina is looking for a reliable, solution-minded, and energetic leader to provide overall support to ~10 VISTAs in the Piedmont (VIP) members serving in the Financial Stability cohort. The Financial Stability VISTA Leader will collaborate with a Health & Education VISTA Leader to guide a team of 18-20 VISTA members who will all serve at different local nonprofit organizations. VISTA Leaders are hosted by United Way of the Piedmont, located in Spartanburg, SC, and will have opportunities to participate in a wide range of projects. The VISTA Leaders will increase the effectiveness of the project’s digital engagement, create training materials, provide peer coaching and support, plan and facilitate professional development and service opportunities, serve as a liaison between UWP, VISTA members, and community partners, and build sustainability of the VISTAs in the Piedmont program.
Join our dynamic team to be part of grassroots change in Spartanburg, Cherokee, & Union Counties increasing access to behavioral healthcare and access to education.
Plan & facilitate weekly VISTA member professional development
- Assess and enhance administrative processes, and help gather data from host-sites & members for quarterly reports
- Establish consistent communication between VISTAs, site supervisors, and project sponsor and assist in developing orientation and training to support VISTA members and site supervisors
- Provide mentorship, coaching, and support to the Financial Stability VISTA cohort
- Enhance VISTA project and member effectiveness by monitoring monthly progress reports and collecting data to demonstrate program impact
- Assist in the recruitment of host sites & VISTA members for 2021-22 grant year through marketing, compiling data, and screening applicants
- Serve on a team to coordinate volunteer days of service
Benefits of Service
- Federal living allowance of $15,758/year
- Eli Segal Education Award to be used toward student loans or further education ($6,345 upon completion of service) OR an end-of-service cash stipend ($3,000)
- $250 monthly housing stipend
- Professional mentorship matching with someone in your preferred area of expertise
- Complimentary monthly shopping at United Way of the Piedmont's Gifts in Kind Center for household items and home furnishing, such as paper products, cleaning supplies, home goods, and OTC medicines
- Professional development budget with robust training and networking opportunities
- Highly discounted YMCA membership
- $750 Settling-In allowance and mileage reimbursement for those relocating more than 50 miles to serve
- Health allowance of up to $7,900 to cover out-of-pocket healthcare costs
- Childcare vouchers (if applicable, available for minor children under 13 years)
- 10 paid sick days & 10 paid vacation / personal leave days
- Eligible to apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or Food Stamps), and other assistance programs
- Flexible scheduling and opportunities to collaborate across departments
- And more!
- Some college
- Must have successfully completed 1 year of AmeriCorps or Peace Corps service. For the 2020-21 service year only, Peace Corps members who completed at least 50% of their term prior to being evacuated due to COVID-19 are eligible to serve as a VISTA Leader
- Must be at least 20 years of age
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to function as a member of a team
- Dependable, thorough, and attentive to details
- Interacts and establishes rapport with diverse individuals and groups
- Prioritize, execute, and shift between multiple assignments and projects while meeting deadlines
- Demonstrates initiative and the ability to work independently
- Fluent in English language, both oral and written, including correct punctuation, spelling and grammatical usage
To apply, please use this link: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=101242
view additional information on AmeriCorps VISTA and our program, please visit https://www.vistasinthepiedmont.org
Diversity and Inclusion Statement of Principles
United Way seeks to engage the entire community in our work without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation, veteran-status, familial status or socio-economic status. That commitment will be reflected in all aspects of United Way’s work – service delivery, staffing, and volunteer participation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and /or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This position description is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Team members may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor.