Position Summary: The FEN Manager contributes to the efforts of United Way of Metropolitan Nashville (UWMN) by leading and expanding the work of the Financial Empowerment Center and Financial Stability work of UWMN. The FEN Manager is responsible for continuing to increase the capacity of the FEC to provide a greater percentage of individuals and families with low to moderate incomes to utilize the program. The FEC expansion will go across the state of TN and will work with multiple partners to professionalize the field of financial counseling while embedding the program strategically into existing health and human services work across the state.
Essential Functions: The following are indicative of the essential functions required to perform this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This profile is not intended to be all inclusive of tasks and responsibilities required; it provides a description of the critical responsibilities associated with this position.
Financial Empowerment Network Manager Tasks
- Develops and maintains collaborative partnerships in Nashville and across the state to strategically expand and scale the FEC model with high integrity; facilitates a smooth transition and on boarding process for Network Partner organizations
- Work with partners to problem-solve operational issues, including programmatic integration with host sites and referral relationships with other agencies
- Ensure partners are compliant with program protocols, data entry and integrity, outcomes and other requirements to ensure successful FEC replication
- Engages in public speaking activities and events on behalf of the FEN, FEC, UWMN and the City to increase partnerships that employ professional counselors
- Supports, contributes, and provides leadership to the Financial Empowerment Network to ensure services are coordinated, best practices are being followed, program is being applied consistently, and partners/counselors are receiving necessary professional development
- In coordination with financial counselors and best practices technical advice, develop and publish manuals that detail FEC expansion through a franchise model, including, but not limited to: orientation and training manual for counselors and partners, standard operating procedures, franchise guidelines and requirements, templates for replication of materials and marketing, etc.
- Identifies, creates, and implements short and long-term goals and objectives with the aim of achieving successful outcomes for the FEC in partnership with the city
- Identifies, develops and coordinates successful approaches for marketing and outreach for the FEC so that community awareness increases and the client base continues to grow
- Oversee the client management database system. This includes collecting, analyzing, aggregating data and preparing reports for partners, the Mayor’s Office, UWMN and funders
- Engage in policy and advocacy work across the state
- Promotes and conducts outreach workshops and events in coordination with Network partners to obtain new clients and grow financial stability knowledge in the community
Staff Management Tasks
- Recruits, interviews, and selects well qualified program staff in collaboration with the Director, Community Impact, Financial Stability
- Leads, manages, and trains FEC Counseling staff, both internal and external to ensure staff has the tools needed to successfully perform their roles and responsibilities
- Develops FEC staff through ongoing coaching in order to create a high performing team
- Verifies FEC Counselor client outcomes to ensure FEC Counselors meet their goals in the program
- Assigns staff as mentors to new FEC counselors and acts as a mentor to each program manager to ensure successful expansion
- Bachelor’s Degree in social work, business, finance, or related field; or 5 years relevant experience
- Required: Financial counseling for 1 year
- Required: Staff Management with a minimum of 3 years’ experience
- Professional experience including one or more of the following: banking, social work, financial services, home ownership education, credit counseling, coaching/counseling
- Budget creation and management
- Working with diverse populations
- Financial services and management
- Credit Bureau Reporting System
- Conflict resolution and team building
- Managing towards outcomes
- Government relations
- Ability to multi-task
- Navigating community resources
- Written, oral, and technological communication
- Ability to relate to people of varied economic, racial, ethnic & religious backgrounds
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, especially Outlook, Word, and Excel
- Preferred: A valid Driver’s License & proof of insurance
- Preferred: Bilingual, Fluent in Spanish
- Mission Driven: Focuses on needs and aspirations of the community
- Effective Communication: Ability to collaborate and effectively communicate through oral, written and technological means; active listening, collaborating and expressing oneself clearly, to ensure those that need specific information acquire it
- Relationship Management: Builds relationships internally and externally; demonstrates credibility in all interactions; builds rapport to cultivate trust, and demonstrates the ability to effectively build a network of contacts
- Outcome Motivated: Creates and maintains high performance standards that capitalize on opportunities to build support for the community by developing relationships that drive results
- Problem Solving/Critical Thinking: Differentiates between when supervisory input is needed and when it is not; identifies opportunities and develops plans to execute; identifies problems, gathers facts and appropriate resources to resolve issues
- Initiative and Creativity: Plans work and carries out tasks without detailed instructions; makes constructive suggestions; prepares for problems in advance; undertakes additional responsibilities; responds to situations as they arise with minimal supervision
- Stress Tolerance: Ability to manage stress levels while under strict deadlines by preparing for problems and opportunities in advance; effectively handles client interactions to ensure successful sessions; ability to remain flexible.
- Team Player: Works cooperatively and collaboratively with others to achieve collective goals; shows commitment to the team’s purpose and goals by providing critical information that helps drive success; works effectively with different personalities across a variety of social and professional situations
- Time Management: Manages own time, priorities, and resources to achieve goals; prioritizes tasks by importance and deadline; adjusts priorities as situations change; easily transitions between tasks and picks up where left off when interrupted; uses sound methods to plan and track work, appointments, and commitments.
- Mental Resilience: Ability to properly adapt to stress and adversity; demonstrates mental resilience by determining strategies to tackle tough situations, adjust strategies throughout the process, collaborate with team members to ensure best practices are being followed, and remain engaged and connected with the situation when under pressure.
Environmental Conditions and Physical Demands:
- Is required to work nights and some Saturdays according to schedule set by manager and the needs of the community.
- Employee spends a lot of time seated; working at a desk in front of a computer monitor. Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items and work with the fingers.
- Employee will be required to stand for long periods of time during outreach and trainings.
- Requires the employee to work externally in the community. This may require traveling to various locations throughout the day for partnership meetings or outreach based on schedule.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The employee is required to stand, walk, climb, and balance.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items and work with the fingers and perform repetitive hand/wrist motions.
- Well-lighted, heated, and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation.