United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut is one of more than 1,200 autonomous United Ways in our nation and nearly 1,800 community-based United Ways in 45 countries and territories. We have the unique ability, vision and resources to bring together diverse stakeholders around a community vision of creating positive change to achieve long-lasting results for children and families.
To engage and bring together people and resources committed to the well-being of children and families in our community.
Join Our Team! Career Opportunity
We are searching for a Financial Controller who’s a strategic thinker, mission-driven, team-oriented and has a ‘can-do’/solution orientation. The Controller would be excited by working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple priorities and identifying innovative ways of leading the charge of accurate fiscal reporting in a transparent and accountable manner. The Controller is responsible for applying the principles of accounting to support gathering of financial information of United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut (UWCNCT), analysis, preparation, interpretation and data/process integrity.
As Controller, you will:
- Be right hand business partner to the Chief Financial Officer on fiscal and organizational strategy, structure and culture.
- Compile and analyze financial information to prepare entries to accounts documenting business transactions; including campaign revenue and receipts processed outside of the general ledger system.
- Analyze financial information detailing assets, liabilities and capital, prepare financial statements and other reports as scheduled, to summarize and interpret financial position and communicate such to management.
- Monitor compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, United Way Worldwide guidelines, industry best practices and company procedures.
- Review entries prepared by other Finance staff for completeness and accuracy.
- Install, modify documents and coordinate implementation of accounting systems and accounting control procedures. Devise and implement system for general accounting. Make recommendations regarding the accounting of assets, reserves and expenditures. Conduct studies and submits recommendations for improving the organization’s accounting operation.
- Interacts with independent auditors, provides support for year-end audit, and assists in the preparation of the IRS Form 990.
- Collaborate with other departments to achieve organizational goals
- Assist Chief Financial Officer with the planning, development and administration of internal planning (budget) process. This process includes on-going financial forecasting for current fiscal year used by senior management for decision making regarding award funding and business operations.
- Analyze campaign giving trends as needed for senior management, volunteer presentations and impact to the financials.
- Prepare and present on financial activity and results to volunteer based Finance and Audit committees. Draft meeting minutes.
- Provides support and attends volunteer based Investment Committee meetings. Drafts meeting minutes.
- Primary contact for banking relationship and responsible for monitoring banking services used by Finance, Donor Services and Development departments.
- Lead on United Way Worldwide annual database survey.
- Assists with grant financial reporting.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business preferred. Working knowledge of fundamental accounting concepts, practices and procedures required.
- Minimum of three to five years of detailed accounting and forecasting experience required.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization, customers and clients.
- Emotionally intelligent, with a curious, can do attitude
- Ability to bring structure to unstructured activities. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest and percentages.
- Advanced computer knowledge of Microsoft excel (including pivot tables), power point and outlook is required. Knowledge of automated general ledger systems.
- Forward-thinking with the ability to drive strategy, implement tactical planning and take action
- Proficiency in Microsoft customer relationship management (CRM) and Serenic preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, personal organization, problem-solving and fact-finding skills. Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggle competing priorities, and able to react and adjust quickly to changing conditions.
- Ability to keep composure with the public and co-workers in everyday, stressful situations and balance competing priorities.
- Strong customer focus in all tasks and activities, even while at times under pressure.
- Solid relationship management skills enhancing internal organizational relations, external community interactions.
- Ability to relate well with people from diverse groups.
How to apply:
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and a cover letter describing 1) their qualifications and experiences 2) salary requirements, and 3) how they learned about the position to:
United Way of Central and Northeastern CT
30 Laurel Street
Hartford, CT 06106
Email: email@example.com No phone calls please.
United Way of Central and Northeastern Connecticut is an equal opportunity employer M / F / D / V.