TITLE: Finance Director
LOCATION: Amarillo, TX
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SHIFT: Shifts vary, some overtime may be required
REVISED: December 2015
Responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities for the organization, in conjunction with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, regulatory requirements, and Office of Management and Budget audit requirements.
- Maintain internal control safeguards and coordinate all audit activities.
- Manage cash flow and forecasting.
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs.
- Optimize the handling of banking relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to enhance cash positions.
- Oversee budgeting and the implementation of budgets so as to monitor progress and present financial metrics both internally and externally
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including Charitable Status, Withholding Payments (CPP, EI), Income Tax, Goods and Services Tax, Employer Health Tax
- Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit and liaise with the Board's Audit Committee and the external auditors as necessary
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
- Develop and maintain financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts
- Review monthly results and implement monthly variance reporting
- Manage the cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts in accordance with policy
- Oversee the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that personnel and financial information is secure and stored in compliance with current legislation
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate
- Prepare annual charitable return in a timely manner as appropriate
- Liaise with the Treasurer, Finance Committee and/or Audit Committee as appropriate
- Draft vendor RFP’s for IT Support, communications systems, credit card processing, insurance and other services
- Assist the Executive Director and the Board Treasurer with financial reporting as required at Board meeting and the Annual General Meetings
Any other duties as assigned by management.
The position of Finance Director is responsible for the direction and supervision of all accounting department employees.
ENVIRONMENTATAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The environment for this position is an open office that is mostly clean and comfortable. It may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. The incumbent is in a non-confined office-type setting in which he or she is free to move about at will.
The incumbent in the course of performing this position spends time writing, typing, speaking, listening, lifting (up to 25 pounds), seeing (such as close, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and adjusted focus), sitting, pulling, walking, standing, and reaching.
The incumbent for this position may operate any or all of the following: telephone, cellular telephone, copy and fax machines, adding machine (calculator), computer terminal and related printers.
The incumbent in this position must be able to accommodate reading documents or instruments, detailed work, problem solving, customer contact, reasoning, math, language, presentations, verbal and written communication, analytical reasoning, stress, and multiple concurrent tasks.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience, preferably in a senior role
- Degree in Accounting, Commerce or Business Management/Administration
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation affecting charities
- Knowledge of provincial legislation on Employment Standards
- Knowledge of the voluntary sector
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills
- CPA preferred
***The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. ***
I have read, understand and agree to the above job description:
Management reserves the right to modify this position description at any time without cause or notification.