Job Title: Finance/Accounting Specialist
Reporting to: Chief Operations Officer
Status: Non-exempt (Hourly)
United Way of San Luis Obispo County is a community change organization that works to improve the health, education and financial stability of every person in our community. United Way fosters structural change by addressing root causes in order to safeguard the future of our community and we focus on work that will erase divisions, bridge divides, and right inequities. We connect people with resources that change lives and transform our community.
United Way of San Luis Obispo County (UWSLOC) works to advance the common good in our local communities. We mobilize the caring power of our communities to address underlying problems, improve lives and build a healthy vibrant community by focusing on issues surrounding education, income and health.
The Finance/Accounting Specialist is a self-motivated team player, who will be responsible for processing Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, cash reconciliation, and other accounting functions as needed. Performs general accounting tasks and duties, with an emphasis on bookkeeping, to support the financial functions of UWSLOC. This position performs work that is critical to the staff team’s ability to focus its efforts outward and spend more face-to-face time with volunteers, donors and corporate partners, and to the organization’s effectiveness in collecting, maintaining, and utilizing data effectively.
The Finance/Accounting Specialist will foster a culture of philanthropy across the organization and will ensure that the organization’s philanthropic culture, systems, standards and procedures are implemented. He/she will also provide leadership when appropriate and creative input in developing and implementing all fundraising efforts, as well as participate in on-going professional development-related trainings to support organizational goals.
Part-time, 20 hours per week. Core hours of Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 1:00pm (flexible).
Key Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
The following duties are representative of the responsibilities of this position. These assignments may change as the needs and priorities of the organization evolve.
Responsible for the overall maintenance and of the Andar database for UWSLOC including, but not limited to updating and adding customer data and accounts in Andar database, producing reports as requested by the Management and Finance Team, and utilizing database for more customization opportunities for constituents.
• Receive incoming payments and apply donor pledges and payments in Fundraising Database (Andar 360)
• Responsible for ePledge campaigns including updates to messaging and layout to bring sites to production and software support to donors, companies and staff.
• Manage the acknowledgement process of donors, including Futures in Bloom legacy program.
• Manage resource development inventory and supply orders.
• Responsible for campaign supply assembly, files (including website) and distribution as needed.
• Support United Way organization with annual campaign and resource development activities as needed.
• Provide support services in coordination of direct mail projects and other projects as assigned.
• Support, as needed, all corporate engagement activities.
• Seek out and demonstrate strategic thinking and initiative to effectively analyze results and drive quality improvements.
• Maintain and support the current fundraising model, while enhancing the development of innovative methods for successful fundraising including technology solutions and web-based fund development systems.
• Attend staff, committee and community meetings as necessary or directed by supervisor.
• Reconcile cash logs with bank deposits and entries to in Andar 360 Database
• Weekly processing of Accounts Payable in MIP/Sage; ensure accurate and timely processing of vendor invoices for payment; confirm invoices have proper approval; audit invoices to ensure proper coding; and maintain vendor accounts.
• Work with program staff to process program-specific contractor and grant payments.
• Perform other duties as assigned
Education, Experience, and Requirements
• Passionate about UWSLOC’s mission
• Associate’s Degree; or a comparable combination of experience and education
• Two (2) years’ experience in a business/corporate environment
• Fund raising experience a plus
• 1-2 years’ experience performing accounting functions – college-level accounting courses a plus
• Experience with computerized accounting software, specifically accounts payable functions. Must be proficient in MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Quickbooks or other GL software experience and Andar 360 or donor database software experience desirable.
• Ability to operate general office equipment, including copiers and printers and telephone systems
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent problem solving and follow-through skills
• Capable of handling multiple projects with competing priorities
• Ability to meet deadlines while anticipating quickly changing needs
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Work both independently and as a collaborative organizational team member
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, a professional demeanor, and to represent the organization in a positive manner at all times
• Must have ability to perform work that requires sitting, walking, stooping, bending and lifting up to 25 pounds
• Commitment to excellence and to providing exemplary customer service
• Flexible; can change focus and priorities easily; able to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
• Proactive, able to anticipate problems and plan solutions
• Strong organization and planning skills
• Proficiency with customer relationship management systems and electronic giving platforms preferred
• Proficiency with social media platforms and strategies preferred
• Mission Focused – The United Way’s top priority is to create social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
• Relationship-Oriented – The United Way Finance/Accounting Specialist understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
• Collaborator – The United Way Finance/Accounting Specialist understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
• Results-Driven – The United Way Finance/Accounting Specialist is dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
• Brand-Steward – The United Way Finance/Accounting Specialist is a steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
United Way of San Luis Obispo County is committed to advancing equity in its work. Equity seeks to undo discrimination and bias to create a just and fair society in which all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We invite applications from underrepresented and historically marginalized groups. People of all protected classes including race, ethnicity, gender, and all ability levels are encouraged to apply.
To apply: email a cover letter and resume to United Way of San Luis Obispo County, c/o Linda Wingert (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 15, 2020.