Family Support Engagement Specialist- Full Time
United Way of Brevard, Florida (UWB) was established in 1957 by a group of concerned individuals who wanted to help those who were in need. Our work focuses on the building blocks of a good life – Education, Income and Health. Our community wins when kids succeed in school, adults can secure a good job, manage their finances, and provide a healthy environment for their families. Together, the contributions of thousands of individual donors become a force for change in the community.
To aid in the prevention of child abuse and neglect in at-risk families by providing appropriate modeling techniques, education and other supportive services
Essential Functions May Include:
- Conduct creative outreach, engage, enroll and assess all participants upon enrollment
- Create and maintain a weekly schedule that will, at a minimum, include trainings: staff meetings, team meetings, scheduling home visits, preparing for home visits, facilitating home visits, accomplishing required documentation in a timely manner
- Assist in developing and maintaining participant records and program documentation according to contract and UW standards (assessments, goal planning, progress notes, etc.)
- Provide appropriate modeling techniques, education and other supportive services as delineated in individual family service plans
- Provide case management services (information, referral and linkages)
- Monitor quality of care by conducting home visits
- Participate in weekly supervision
- Participate in the quality improvement process
- Participate in trainings, staff meeting and team meetings
- Assist with transportation of participating families to medical or other necessary appointments (provided on a limited basis)
This list of essential functions is not intended to be exhaustive. The United Way of Brevard reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
One year of experience working with children/families
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Must pass FDLE and local background check
- Previous experience in a social services organization
- Acceptance of individual differences
- Ability to establish and maintain trusting relationships
- Experience in working with or providing services to children and families
- Experience and humility to work with the culturally diverse populations which are present among the program’s target population
- Knowledge of infant and child development
- Willingness to engage in building reflective capacity (e.g., has capacity for introspection, communicates awareness of self in relation to others, recognizes value of supervision, etc.)
- Awareness of sociocultural characteristics of service population
- Ability to handle stressful situations
- Ability to observe and accurately report (verbal and written) the functioning of individuals, families and children
- Ability to organize and maintain home visiting schedules and complete home visits as required by the program
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Knowledge of effective parenting skills
- Reflective listening skills
- Ability to set appropriate limits and boundaries with participants
- Ability to handle emergencies and life-threatening situations effectively
- Ability to act decisively when necessary to protect families, individuals and children
- Ability to assist in identifying and setting goals
- Ability to work as part of team
- Ability to operate electronic devices including but not limited to: laptop computer, fax machine, copy machine, smart phone
- Co-lead parent/child groups
- Sitting N
- Standing N
- Walking N
- Lifting N
- Carrying N
- Kneeling P
- Pushing/Pulling N
- Bending/Stooping N
- Climbing P
- Reaching N
- Crawling/Crouching P
- Repetitive Motion -N
- Other (repetitive standing kneeling P crawling/crouching P )
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
About Brevard County, Florida
Brevard County, Florida, also known as Florida’s Space Coast, is a groundbreaking region along the east coast of the Sunshine State. Home to the world-famous launch pads of Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Brevard County’s rich history is built upon generations of high-tech talent, yet boasts a small-town community feel where members can truly make a difference. With an abundance of amenities for the right work-life balance, Florida’s Space Coast offers a unique lifestyle with tropical weather, cultural activities, educational opportunities, year-round outdoor recreation, and a family-friendly atmosphere. Even the world's most significant vacation playground is just a short ride, which means you can get annual passes for endless access to the thrills and off-season crowds at Orlando theme parks and attractions, all while enjoying the relaxed oceanside community that has sent man to the moon, and continues to launch advances for humankind. You can learn more about the endless lifestyle options found here, at www.LiveBigSpaceCoast.com
United Way of Brevard is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary, a learning environment, and employee benefits to include health insurance, paid holidays, paid time off, and a retirement plan. Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. United Way of Brevard reserves the right to change this position description at any time according to business needs.