United Way of the Valley & Greater Utica Area is seeking to hire a Family School Navigator for the Herkimer County school districts; Little Falls, CVA, Frankfort Schuyler, Herkimer and for several schools within the Oneida County school district. This is a full-time position with great benefits of; paid time off to include sick, personal and vacation, a flexible work schedule, health, dental, and vision plans, employer paid life insurance and STD/LTD benefits, tuition reimbursement, maternity/paternity leave, 403(b) with match, and an overall satisfaction of helping others and working among a great team.
The purpose of Family School Navigator (FSN) is to increase the number of children ready for kindergarten (R4K). The FSN will work closely as a team with a Health Home Care Manager (HHCM) and elementary school personnel to identify families with children ages 0-4 to determine if there are learning, behavioral, social/emotional, or medical issues that require attention. In addition, the team will work to identify students in grades K-6th evidencing learning, behavioral, social/emotional and/or health issues in need of connectivity to educational, health and mental health services, fostering an ongoing partnership between the home and school.
Provides awareness of the Family School Navigator Model to the greater school community; establish relationships, responsibilities and priorities to facilitate success.
- Works collaboratively with school administration, teachers, staff, and students.
- Works as a team with a Health Home Care Manager to serve children 0-12 year-olds.
- Provides a warm hand-off to HHCM when the child is eligible for care management.
- Coordinates home visits and parent meetings for the purpose of gaining information and/or discussing needs involving their children and families.
- Facilitates connections and makes referrals to community and school programs/services available to children and families to ensure needs are met.
- Provides information and referrals to programs/services available to children and families as well as to the schools to ensure needs are met.
- Fosters an ongoing partnership between the homes and school.
- Seeks input from teachers, school staff, parents, care manager and students to determine ongoing needs of children, students and families.
- Assists in coordinating with community leaders and organizations for the purpose of building resources and expanding program capabilities to assist families.
- Engages parents to promote their child’s health and learning experiences, language exposure and to get involved in their children’s educational programs.
- Organizes a variety of activities for the purpose of providing support to the school and parents, showcasing children and students talents and abilities, and celebrating the diversity of the community.
- Participates in a variety of meetings, committees and coalitions for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions and remaining knowledgeable with program guidelines.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources for the purpose of providing information and/or direction as may be required.
- Collects and provides data for a variety of reports for the purpose of meeting specific program, United Way, School District, state and federal requirements.
- Maintains records and prepare reports.
- Monitors and evaluates program effectiveness; follows-up on specific cases as necessary.
- Negotiates agreements with people and organizations that provide services.
- Manages assigned grants for the purpose of ensuring funding and compliance with all relevant regulations and guidelines.
- Develops, maintains, and publicizes a schedule of programs and activities offered at the school.
- Utilizes other Community School resources (i.e. The Coalition for Community Schools (National), Community Schools Navigators Network, United Way World Community Schools) to promote knowledge.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by United Way in collaboration with CNY Health Home Network and School District for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning and meeting goals.
- Any additional duties as assigned.
Education - Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Sociology, Psychology, Human Services, Education, Nursing or related field, required.
- Minimum of three years experience working with children, students, families, schools and communities, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of early education is required.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills verbally and written, internally and externally.
- Demonstrates resiliency for challenging subject matters.
- Ability to work independently and in team environment.
- Experience in data collection and management, compiling and reporting.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Proficiency with office computer technology and job-related application software.
- Ability to implement a new idea.
- Knowledge of public relations and media relations.
- Ability to promote trust and collaboration between internal and external school stakeholders.
- Position requires local travel within the school district and to committee/coalition meetings.
- Travel mileage is reimbursable at the approved IRS rate.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is required.
- Vehicle Insurance and up-to-date registration.
- Ability to lift 15 pounds.
- Familiarity with fundraising efforts.
United Way of the Valley and Greater Utica Area is an equal opportunity employer. United Way of the Valley and Greater Utica Area does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, sex, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status or domestic violence victim status.