United Way of Broward County fights for the health, education and financial prosperity of every person in our community.
General Description: This position is responsible for designing and implementing an overall outreach plan to expand and engage families to participate in activities and partake in services on campus and in the community through the Gulfstream Community Partnership School.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Community Partnership School Manager and school leadership to integrate new programming into the unique educational environments of Gulfstream Academy of Hallandale Beach K-8 (Gulfstream K-8) and Gulfstream Early Learning Center (GELC).
- Expand opportunities for families and the community at Gulfstream K-8 to attend Adult Education Programs (ESOL, GED, Adult Basic Literacy) at the GELC campus.
- Expand family strengthening opportunities for students with families at Gulfstream Academy K-8 through partnership with Hispanic Unity of Florida and Broward County Public Schools’ Family and Community Engagement Department on the Gulfstream K-8 Campus.
- Expand partnership with Broward College to advertise and provide GELC and Gulfstream Academy K-8 family members adult course options.
- Plan, direct and implement community activities in conjunction with the schools’ Family Resource Teams, Community Partnership School Manager and school leadership in support of the goals set forth in the outreach plan. Manage event logistics, participant registration, marketing, and budget.
- Provide information, advice, content and recommendations for community engagement activities to senior management and school leadership to advance visibility and Community Partnership School outcomes.
- Participate in maintaining accurate and complete parent and community member participation and engagement data.
- Supported by Community Partnership School Manager, liaison with school administrative personnel to align system goals, program objects and community services; serve as a core member of the Community Partnership School Operations Team.
- Build rapport with teachers, staff, parents and community members to be an advocate for students and community needs.
- Manage family resource room at Gulfstream Academy K-8.
Other Job Duties:
- Performs other duties and assumes other responsibilities as requested by supervisor.
- Identify opportunities for new and existing engagement efforts.
- Coordinate family educational opportunities for the purposes of promoting student achievement, student attendance, and home-school partnerships.
- Present the Community Partnership School™ model to multiple stakeholders, including students, parents, and community leaders.
- Make phone calls to identify parent needs and program eligibility.
- Prepare written materials for the purposes of documenting activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information.
- Participate in the quality improvement process.
- Collaborate in fundraising and grant writing.
- Responsible for conducting home visits and attending meetings.
- As needed, work flexible hours including evenings and weekends,
- Due to the leadership role United Way is called upon to play in the community, particularly during times of crisis, it is the expectation that all United Way staff will be fully engaged in the organization's crisis plan and response efforts.
- Understands and respects the diversity of economic, linguistic and cultural backgrounds and situations.
- Actively participate in the COA accreditation process.
- Assist in other related duties as assigned.
Supervises: No Supervision Duties
Education, Skills and Experience Requirements:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in a Human Services/Social Services related field and one to two years of combined experience in community outreach OR graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s degree in a Human Services/Social Services related field and three to four years of combined experience in community outreach. Five years of relevant experience may be supplemented for an accredited degree.
- Experience with building community relationships, convening workshops and working with families on educational or community issues.
- Experience working with data to inform practice.
- Proficient skills working with computers and software programs.
- Skilled at public speaking and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in the school.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills (English required; Spanish highly desirable and preferred).
- The ideal candidate is going to be someone who is part of the Hallandale Beach/Gulfstream school community who understands the area and the school.
Core Competency Requirements:
- Excels at customer service – Serves (treats) all customers (internal and external) with utmost respect and responsiveness in order to deepen relationships and advance UWBC and Community Partnership School’s mission.
- Drives for results – Has a passion for innovation and risk-taking, meeting and exceeding qualitative and quantitative goals in a thoughtful and time-driven manner.
- Commits to the organization – Has the responsibility for aligning one’s own behavior, leadership, and commitment with the needs, priorities, goals, and culture of UWBC.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion – Creates an atmosphere that respects and embraces engagement of all people, ideas, and backgrounds and aligns with United Way’s values.
- Seizes learning – Able and willing to learn new skills and knowledge and accept new challenges to further United Way’s mission.
- Manages multiple projects and tasks – Effectively manages time and resources to respond to emerging needs while continuing to deliver on organizational goals, objectives, and timelines, seeking help when needed to manage priorities.
- Personifies teamwork – Demonstrates good collaboration and communication effectively in any team setting.
Environment & Physical Demands: The environment is climate controlled (i.e., heated and air-conditioned). Lighting is adequate through overhead lighting as well as windows and blinds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical demands include sitting and/or standing for extended periods of time, bending, lifting approximately 25 pounds, regular use of the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration.