The Executive Vice President, General Counsel & Chief Risk Officer oversees all internal and external legal matters for United Way Worldwide (UWW) and serves as its primary legal advisor. The General Counsel & Chief Risk Officer is responsible for identifying and understanding the wide array of legal and business issues raised in activities across the organization, and providing related advice and counsel to UWW’s President and Chief Executive officer, other members of the executive leadership team, UWW staff and the Boards of Trustees.
The position requires a highly strategic, proactive individual who is well versed in the business dynamics and regulatory environment of not-for-profit, tax-exempt charitable organizations. The General Counsel & Chief Risk Officer plays a key role with all departments to champion a culture of compliance, accountability, collaboration, and risk management. The General Counsel & Chief Risk Officer assists and enables the organization to deliver on its commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism. All other duties and responsibilities, as assigned by the President and Chief Executive Officer.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
Strategic Advice and Counsel
- Responsible for collaborating closely with the executive leadership team, the Boards of Trustees, and UWW staff on a wide range of legal and risk management issues
- Develop and oversee an enterprise risk mitigation and management framework in order to identify and reduce areas of potential legal, reputational, and financial exposure across the organization
- Advise senior management concerning the legal implications of all major decisions, strategies, and organization transactions
- Serve as a partner with the People and Culture team to be a resource to all staff to listen and advise on work-related legal and ethical issues
- Work with counsel for other non-profit agencies and organizations on legal issues of common interest to the non-profit and NGO communities
Legal and Compliance
- Lead overall enterprise legal compliance program
- Provide legal review of policies and procedures, internal publications, Form 990s and other filings, brochures, reports, and releases for donors or public dissemination
- Review and approve contracts
- Ensure all legal compliance matters are managed, including non-profit charitable registrations, regulations and tax filings, corporate governance, planned giving, cause-related marketing, contracts and licensing, gift solicitations and gift administration, intellectual property, and general litigation
- Serve as legal advisor on major UWW transactions
- Ensure that the organization’s vision, mission, and values are fulfilled and actualized in its legal operations and services
- Assist in governance-related matters to ensure compliance with UWW governing documents
- Record and store formal meeting minutes for the UWW Board of Trustees and the U.S.A. Board of Trustees and related committees
- Provide advice and counsel on board and organizational governance issues
- Develop and implement corporate governance best practices
Relationship with Outside Counsel
- Develop and manage outside counsel legal budgets for UWW
- Retain, oversee, and manage outside counsel
Management of Legal Department Staff
- Develop legal department staff members, providing relevant position descriptions and roles
- Allocate responsibilities among legal staff members
- Oversee performance
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
Education and Bar Membership:
- J.D. from an American Bar Association accredited law school
- Member in good standing of the Virginia Bar or member in good standing of the State Bar of another state or the District of Columbia
Experience and Qualifications:
- 12+ years of prior work experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- Prior experience as a General Counsel in one or more non-profit organizaions or foundations strongly preferred
- Significant experience with issues affecting 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex legal and factual issues
- Experience adapting complex legal advice to create practical processes and guidance materials for clients, including for in-house use
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously
Personal Traits and Attributes:
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to establish trust and develop productive relationships with staff at all levels and collaborate effectively with senior management in strategic planning, decision-making and culture building
- Ability and willingness to make and convey decisions to all levels of the organization
- Ability to resolve problems creatively and effectively, identify underlying issues in complex situations, recognize patterns and trends, develop comprehensive solutions to recurring issues, and apply relevant expertise and experience to diverse legal questions
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to summarize issues and proposed solutions
NOTE: If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits, including health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.