Purpose of Position:
United Way of Dane County is the largest nonprofit in Dane County, responsible for the private investment of fundamental health and human services that focus on moving families from poverty to financial stability.
The Community Engagement & Marketing (CEM) Department of United Way of Dane County has a goal of creating experiences that engage and inspire people to give, advocate and volunteer. In order to educate, inform and mobilize everyone in Dane County, we employ a variety of strategies including communications, events, corporate and community-wide volunteer facilitation and leveraging the voice of the community (i.e. collecting and sharing the perspectives of under-represented members of our community and individuals and families impacted by our work).
The Executive Vice President, Community Engagement & Marketing is the developer and leader of these strategies, oversees their execution and measures their impact and effectiveness.
Lead the development and execution of marketing and community engagement strategies to meet our current and future organizational and business requirements. Responsible for overarching strategy, brand management, professional development and oversight of the CEM Department.
This person is a servant leader, effective manager and partner-in-change, providing professional leadership of staff, executive team, board and volunteer committees. The EVP is fully invested in advancing United Way’s mission and inspires real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This commitment to mission drives his or her performance and professional motivations.
In this role, the EVP will engage with leaders across the Dane County business and nonprofit communities, through events and in-person meetings, with an overall goal to drive partnerships and deepen relationships.
Additionally, this person will:
- Provide innovative leadership and long-term perspective focusing on the future of the organization.
- Be a key participant in organizational strategy, in collaboration with the Executive team, including strategic planning, goal setting and reporting, and board, staff and stakeholder communication.
- Understand and evaluate marketing strategy, voice of the community and digital engagement; and stay aware of global United Way branding, best practices, approaches, innovations and strategies to enhance the achievement of established goals.
- Champion a relationship-based culture within the organization and consistently model a customer-service approach in all internal and external interactions.
- Review and analyze strengths and opportunities of CEM initiatives in order to optimize use of resources.
- Set the direction of the department to ensure staff have clear goals and a path to achieve measurable results.
- Provide input, feedback and support to the President & CEO.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Set annual marketing strategy to be deployed across various tactics, including traditional and paid media, social media, newsletters, annual materials, videos and events.
- Work with market research partner to deliver guidance on strategy and continuously work to understand the effectiveness of our strategies through improved data collection and measurement, e.g. improved understanding of trust, awareness and volunteerism.
- Collaborate with Assistant Director of Creative Services and Assistant Director of Marketing to manage production of materials and serve as lead contact for pro bono agency.
- Work with four Marketing team members to ensure:
- Clear and consistent communications, adherence to brand standards across the organization.
- Earned and paid media placements that reach new and diverse stakeholders and increase overall awareness in Dane County.
- Innovative use of digital platforms to increase engagement and giving, including website.
- Flawless execution of annual events to inform and inspire in support of our brand strategy.
- Collaboration with Resource Development to secure sponsorship for events and advertising.
Corporate and Community Engagement
- Set strategy for expansion of corporate and individual volunteerism.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Stakeholder Engagement, oversee strategy, management and execution of projects to increase awareness of United Way as a community convener, e.g. the Law Enforcement and Leaders of Color Collaboration.
- Support voice of the community work and ensure it informs messaging and engages new audiences.
- Work with Corporate and Community Engagement team to further the Volunteer Engagement Mobilization Plan, including VolunteerYourTime.org.
- Lead Marketing Committee, including volunteer recruitment and succession, annual work plan, board reports and regular engagement to expand capacity.
- In conjunction with appropriate team leaders, guide work of Community Engagement Committee, Business Volunteer Network, Law Enforcement and Leaders of Color Collaboration, Community Volunteer Awards Committee, BoardWalk, Community Impact Advisors Council, etc.
Management and Administration
- Supervise, evaluate and report on the activities of all CEM staff and their ongoing job responsibilities, including goal setting, development and performance reviews.
- Set team priorities and initiate strategic and operational plans to accomplish long and short-term goals.
- Other duties as required to support team and organization objectives.
- Develop and oversee the CEM department budgets in conjunction with appropriate team leaders.
- External: Volunteers, businesses, community organizations, media representatives, advertising agencies, marketing professionals, United Way partner agencies, individuals and families utilizing United Way services, United Way Worldwide and other United Ways.
- Internal: Direct interaction with all departments and levels within the organization. Direct supervision of 4 staff members and oversight of 9 staff members within the department.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred in marketing, business, or related field.
- Experience: A minimum of eight years of experience in marketing, public relations, social and digital media and creative strategy. A track record of demonstrated accomplishment and leadership is vital. Nonprofit experience desirable.
- Skills: Goal setting, working collaboratively and achieving measurable results. Excellent skills in managing and motivating others, including volunteer management.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.