Kishwaukee United Way (“KUW”) is a community-based organization committed to providing resources to local organizations serving individuals and families in need to help improve lives.
Position Summary: The role of the Executive Director is to assist the Board of Directors in the
fulfillment of the organization’s mission. Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for all administrative, fundraising, fund distribution operations, and stakeholder relations of the organization.
- Leadership – Develop, maintain, and implement a process by which KUW establishes strategic direction, conducts tactical and long-term planning, sets measurable goals, and evaluates the results. Responsible for advancing the mission and vision of KUW. Coordinates various standing and ad hoc committees and initiatives of KUW.
- Financial Management – Direct the financial operations of the organization. Ensure adherence to the organization’s budget and monitor fiscal expenditures. Prepare various financial and fundraising reports for the Board and committee meetings. Manage the organization’s annual audit process.
- Fundraising – Develop and implement year-round resource development strategies, including a campaign plan. Develop, implement, and maintain innovative resource development strategies including, but not limited to annual giving, business support, gifts in kind, major gifts, planned giving and special events. Develop, maintain, and support appropriate training programs, materials, and systems for campaign volunteers.
- Fund Distribution – Develop and implement a plan to allocate available dollars in high impact/outcome programs and to evaluate the results of those investments. Develop, implement, and maintain an agency program funding application, evaluation criteria and fund distribution process.
- Agency Relations – Develop and maintain appropriate and inclusive partnerships with KUW funded and potential agencies.
- Board & Volunteer Relations – Develop and enhance positive relationships and communication with existing and potential Board members and volunteers. Develop and support training and development programs and materials for Board members and volunteers. Attend and participate in all Board and committee meetings.
- Community Relations – Build and maintain appropriate and inclusive partnerships with civic organizations, community foundations, chamber of commerce, local governments, local media, and other health/human service organizations.
- Donor Relations – Develop and enhance positive relationships and communication with existing and potential donors. Create and implement appropriate recognition practices for individual and group donors.
- Marketing and Communications – Develop, implement, and maintain year-round marketing and communication strategies to promote broad support and understanding of KUW.
- Human Resource and Development – Lead and manage all KUW staff, including the recruitment, selection, and retention of the staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, a proven track record in the non-profit sector, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills including public speaking.
- Ability to plan, organize and facilitate meetings and presentations.
- Demonstrated thorough understanding of finance including budget preparation and financial management.
- Ability to perform tasks without direct supervision, including excellent time management and workflow organization skills.
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, and QuickBooks, as well as social media platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain positive working relationships.
- Ability to visit partner agencies, attend campaign kickoffs and community events.
- Attend occasional weekend or evening functions, meetings, or special events.
- Experience in grant making is a plus.
This is a fulltime, salaried position and offers the following benefits:
- A Simple IRA matching plan is offered after a 90-day introductory period.
- Holidays and paid time off.
- Professional development opportunities.
- A hybrid work environment is available.
Send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Kishwaukee United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
When uploading your job description, be sure to include the following areas:
About United Way of ANYTOWN
[Insert brief overview of United Way of ANYTOWN]
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Desirable, But Not Required
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.