Tri-County United Way
Improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities.
Communities where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, financial stability, and healthy lives.
Executive Director Job Description
Summary: The Executive Director will lead the organization in ensuring the mission and message of United Way are communicated consistently to the community, board members, volunteers and partner organizations. S/he will initially develop sound knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and business needs. The Executive Director will understand and help identify the community needs and possess broad business and management skills to lead the organization and its team. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for United Way Staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the Tri-County United Way to carry out the programs, goals, objectives, policies and decisions formulated by the Board of Directors to address and impact the education, health and income needs of people in the Tri-County area.
- Review and evaluate the current network of services for the Tri-County United Way area to better address and impact the education, health and income needs of people in the service area.
- Develop further partnerships with provider organizations, other community funders and the business community to further the mission and goals of the Tri-County United Way and improve the overall community well-being.
- Develop and implement a year-round resource development strategy, including a master campaign, plan ensuring proper accountability and accurate reporting.
- Develop and implement a year-round evaluation and assessment of programs to ensure that the priority needs of the community are being addressed and impacted.
- Develop and implement year-round communications and marketing programs to bring broad support and understanding of the Tri-County United Way and its mission to the communities it serves.
- Develop, manage and effectively involve volunteers to assist the Tri-County United Way in addressing and impacting the education, health and income needs of people in the communities it serves.
- Ensure that all business and financial affairs of the Tri-County United Way are conducted in accordance with all acceptable standards of business and regulatory agencies at the lowest cost possible including implementation and maintenance of budgetary controls.
- Ensure all operations are in compliance with Federal, State, local and United Way guidelines.
- Supervise a part-time administrative support staff to meet the mission and goals of the Tri-County United Way.
- Collaborate with other United Way organizations including United Way Wisconsin and United Way Worldwide.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Highest standards of ethical conduct
- Visionary leadership
- Leadership by example
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Strong marketing, public relations, and sales or fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders
- Interpersonal skills including listening, group dynamics management and conflict resolution
- Word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software proficiency skills
- Group presentation skills
- Past success working with a Board of Directors or non-profit organizations as a volunteer with the ability to cultivate existing board member and community relationships
Experience and Knowledge
- Successful leadership in a community impact organization or business
- Successful leadership of revenue raising efforts or sales experience
- Successful management and leadership experience
- Successful project planning, development, implementation and evaluation
- Successful budgetary/financial management
- Knowledge of the Tri-County communities
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least ten years of directly related management and leadership experience
- A willingness to take on a challenge of leading an organization at a crossroads in its history
- A passion for service to the community
- Valid driver’s license
- State compliant vehicle insurance
- Ability to be individually bonded
- Ability for some travel
Salary: $35- $40 per hour based on experience – Approximately 20 hours per week
Benefits: Flexible hours and working locations. Travel reimbursement.
Tri-County United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer.