The ideal candidate possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization. This person is network-oriented: values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way's breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy. This person is organized and enjoys working in a small office environment, while impacting numerous organizations, programs, and people.
COMPENSATION: $58,000-$63,000 DOE, Full-time, Exempt
BENEFITS: 15 paid holidays/year, 1 week paid vacation (1st year), 403(b) retirement, and sick leave
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Moffat County United Way Board of Directors
POSITION SUMMARY: The Executive Director possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization. This person is network-oriented: values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way's breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy. The position provides the leadership, training, and strategies to execute the policies and objectives set by the Board of Directors; establishes and trains staff and volunteers with the objective of maximizing the organization’s fundraising capabilities; is responsible for the overall management of fundraising, communications, planning, allocations, and administrative activities of the MCUW; provides leadership and support to the staff and volunteers; manages and oversees the day-to-day operation of the 3-person office; coordinates and administers all budget allocation activities; develops and maintains an effective working relationship with all partner agencies; is the face of the MCUW; carries out directives established by the Board of Directors.
The position is open until filled; the first round of application reviews will occur May 31st.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Board Development and Management:
- Assists the Board of Directors with direction in matters of policy formulation, interpretation and implementation; long and short-range goal setting and planning; as well as to assist in securing and retaining high quality volunteer leadership for MCUW.
- Keeps the Board of Directors informed of United Way office activities and needs, progress towards goals, affiliate agencies’ status, background on agenda items, and national trends. Maintains United Way Worldwide and state/federal requirements.
- Works with the President and Committee Chairpersons in planning meetings, preparing agendas, setting schedules, and providing relevant information.
- Supervises all office operations including: maintaining written job descriptions for each position, staff hiring, training and supervision; and the management of time, space and equipment resources.
- Financial management including: assisting in development and monitoring of the operating budget; payments to vendors and member agencies; oversight of financial control policies; maintenance of financial records; preparation of audit; and timely payment and filing of payroll and other taxes and reports.
- Plans the annual MCUW campaign, setting annual goal jointly with Board of Directors.
- Manages and coordinates day-to-day support operations of the annual campaign including: volunteer recruitment and training; scheduling; Special Events; promotion; preparation of materials; solicitations and presentations; and donor acknowledgement.
- Maintains campaign records, reports and statistics with regard to fundraising activities.
- Provides advice and administrative support to the Board in all fundraising activities.
- Analyzes and evaluates campaign results as a means of improving future campaigns.
- Develops personal contacts and cultivates current and potential donors, corporations and foundations. Keeps donors informed of progress and significant accomplishments.
- Uses sound management procedures, in accordance with the principles of MCUW, to ensure efficient solicitation, collection and record keeping, including campaign pledges and payments.
- Solicits contributions from corporations, individuals and foundations for campaign, event sponsorships, and other fundraising efforts, as needed.
- Prepares grant proposals for operating or endowment funds, if applicable and manages grant dollars.
- Develop strategies to meet fundraising goals.
Community Investment Allocations
- Ensures that a sound Community Investment Allocation process is followed.
- Oversees allocations process by announcing fund availability, distributing applications, and coordinating volunteer review of applications.
- Provides technical assistance to agencies’ staff and volunteers, and MCUW volunteers regarding allocation processes and operations.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Promotes public understanding and support of human service needs and programs by representing MCUW in community activities by: using the media effectively; directing year-round public relations programs; and conveying MCUW policies and positions to business leaders, government, other human services agencies, and the community-at-large.
- Develops and implements media plan, including newsletter, and website.
- Develops campaign materials including: brochure, pledge forms, and electronic media.
Community and Agency Relations
- Provides leadership in providing the MCUW services desired by the community such as needs assessments, information and referral services, and input on special projects.
- Develops a sound working relationship with the Directors of all affiliated agencies by providing consultation regarding their services and programs, budgets, inter-agency cooperation and current community needs.
- Monitors agency activity to ensure that the MCUW funds are used as intended.
- Maintains cooperative relationships with other United Way organizations.
- Positions MCUW as a partner in community building ventures to improve the quality of life in Moffat County.
Oversight of Community Impact Program
- Hires, trains and supervises Community Impact Program staff
- Provides employee evaluations annually
- Ensures program viability and effectiveness
- Develops and monitors program budget
Other duties as mutually agreed upon by the Executive Director and Board.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
• Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent.
• Professional experience in administration, communications, development, fund raising, fund distribution and volunteer recruitment.
• Experience with human care charitable organization management, educational administration and business management.
• Effective personal impact and verbal communication skills, making the United Way and its objectives understandable and attractive to all facets of the cultural, educational, social and economic diversity of the area.
• Strong administrative, organizational, written and oral communication skills.
• Initiative, self-discipline and the ability to work without supervision while supervising and motivating others.
• Ability to work effectively with community leaders, donors and applicants demonstrating a blend of leadership presence and cooperative work style.
• Capacity to help determine community needs.
• A compelling commitment to the philanthropic sector and to the betterment of the quality of life for the residents of the area.
• A high level of analytical ability required in order to monitor and refine United Way systems and procedures and ensure compliance with governmental rules and regulations.
• Accounting experience, non-profit background preferred
Office environment. Sedentary. Manual dexterity. May be occasionally exposed to various outdoor weather conditions; periodically will be involved in bending, stooping, reaching, standing, sitting and walking. May occasionally lift 20-25 lbs. Must be willing to travel independently.
Must have valid Colorado Driver’s license. Must successfully pass a criminal background check and motor vehicle record check.
The Executive Director of the MCUW is an “at will” employee who will be compensated consistent with salary negotiated at his/her time of hire and whose future increases will be determined by the board of directors based on job performance. The board will evaluate the performance of the Executive Director in January of each year.
Moffat County United Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer.