Reports To: Board of Directors
Prepared Date: November 2020
Approved By: Caprice B. Hover
Salary Range: 29.00 - 34.00
The EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR is responsible for the overall strategic direction, business development, and financial performance of the Agency. This includes the functional areas of Program Operations, Fundraising, Administration and Program Development. The EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR is responsible for regular and open communications with the Board of Directors and its committees.
- The EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR is responsible for the fundraising, grantwriting, and for event planning inclusive of private foundations, corporations and individuals to meet the projected budget for the UWRC.
- The EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR is responsible for overseeing all grant reporting, including delegating responsibilities to staff, budget reports and timely submission of final reports.
- Represent UWRC and be a leader in work with community and state partners – both internally and externally – to develop new partnerships and build collaborations to improve upon existing programs for families and individuals of Rutland County.
- Analyze operations to evaluate performance of agency and its staff in meeting objectives, and to determine areas of potential cost reduction, program improvement, or policy change.
- In consultation with the Strengthening Our Team (Exec) Committee of the Board of Directors, develop and recommend annual budget for approval by the Board of Directors, including those for funding and implementation of programs.
- Negotiate or approve contracts and agreements with suppliers, distributors, federal and state agencies, and other organizational entities.
- Review reports submitted by staff members in order to recommend approval or to suggest changes.
- Direct human resources activities on a day-to-day basis, including overseeing process of annual evaluations of all staff members, creating an orientation program for all incoming staff, and hiring and appointment of staff.
- In consultation with the Board of Directors recommend and meet with potential new members of the Board of Directors.
- Confer with board members, organization officials, and staff members to discuss issues, coordinate activities, and develop solutions relative to fulfilling our mission. (do we really need?)
- Deliver speeches, write articles, and present information at meetings or conventions in order to promote services, exchange ideas, and accomplish objectives.
- Prepare and present monthly reports concerning activities, expenses, budgets, press activities, and other items affecting businesses or programs to the Board of Directors.
- Direct and coordinate the organization's financial and budget activities in order to fund operations, maximize investments, and increase efficiency.
- Meet regularly with the Treasurer of the Board concerning any changes or opportunities in the financial management of the Center, e.g. investment, credit card changes, etc.
- Responsible for knowing and following the policies and procedures of the agency and the client; for sharing information that would benefit other members of the team; and for finding ways to improve the delivery of service to our clients.
The EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR may do what is necessary to effectively carry out the responsibilities of the position, but must do so with the advice and consent of the Board of Directors. Specifically, prior approval from the Board of Directors is required to:
- Commit the Agency to an expense above $1,000 that is not previously budgeted.
- Alter, change or upgrade databases, information channels, security protocols or passwords.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 10-15 years experience in human services with grants, grant oversight and supervisions of direct services, 5 within a senior management role.
- Strong financial and business analysis skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of non-profit/ grant accounting with ability to project short and long tern cash flow
- Strong inter-personal skills with the ability to network and build relationships with individuals of various experience and corporate levels both within and outside of the company.
- Excellent (?) written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate to multiple audiences and purposes.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and handle multiple requests simultaneously.
- Strong problem solving skills with ability to create alternative solutions and meet deadlines.
- Strong listening and evaluating skills.
- Able to travel to various locations as necessary.
- Previous experience working in a team environment preferred, or a strong understanding of the importance of open communication and information sharing among co-workers and boards.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Donor Database Management
- Internet research techniques
- Basic understanding of quick books
Certificates and Licenses
- Clean driving record
- Insurance – $300K minimum
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment is typically an office setting but may include time at agency locations or conference meeting centers. The ability to travel between work sites is necessary. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position summary is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people in this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Individuals within this job may perform other duties as assigned.
To apply please forward a cover letter and resume to Caprice Hover at email@example.com. The UWRC is an equal opportunity employer.