Salina Area United Way Job Description –Executive Director
Job Title: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Board of Directors
Approved By: HR Committee
Core Job Competencies: All United Way staff is expected to have the following competencies:
- We are mission-focused and our top priority is to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities.
- We are relationship-oriented and understand that people come before process and it is each of our jobs to cultivate and manage relationships toward a common goal.
- We are collaborators and seek to engage all sectors of our community and can mobilize resources through meaningful engagement.
- We are results-driven and dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good.
- We are brand-stewards and understand our role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the entire network.
Overview of Responsibilities: The Executive Director is the leader of the organization, establishing a vision for community impact that is achieved through the efforts of a diverse team, volunteers and staff. The Executive Director leverages the strength of relationships and networks, and works across private, public and corporate sectors to improve the community. The Executive Director shall be effective at generating resources and financial support for the organization. The Executive Director will develop and execute marking, media plans and communication strategies.
Executive Director Functional Competencies:
- STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT: Ensures coordination and alignment of all SAUW activities to strategic direction in the areas of community impact, resource development, and staff alignment. Partner with the Board of Directors and staff to craft organizational goals and develops strategies to ensure that they are achieved.
- RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT/FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT: Drives key results in community fundraising. Identifies, cultivates and solicits prospective investors and key leaders; leverages personal and professional contacts and relationships into fundraising opportunities; and to promote a culture of fundraising in the organization. Laser focus on increasing financial resources to support Salina Area United Way’s mission and community impact strategies.
- ORGANIZATION MANAGEMENT: Accountable for building and leading high-performance teams, ensuring all teams are aligned and collaborating to achieve strategic results. Will maintain accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors. Directly supervises staff and establishes individual goals and serves as liaison with subcontractors.Works with the Board of Directors to manage organizational spending, monitors budget compliance, identifies gaps in systems and staffing, and mitigates financial risks. Ensures the goals of inclusiveness and diversity among staff and volunteers are met.
- MARKETING AND MEDIA RELATIONS: Develops and executes marketing, media plans and communication strategies to achieve organizational goals. This includes e-communications, print media, social media, writing and editing of materials, graphic design, and event support.
Qualifications and Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each functional competency satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 5+ years in a related field with a high school diploma or equivalent.
- 3-5 years’ experience within the nonprofit sector preferred.
- Experience with marketing, advertising/PR, or communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to clearly communicate detailed information.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact in a positive and professional manner to develop and maintain strong working relationships.
- Expertise in corporate, employee, individual and/or special events fundraising.
- Ability to recruit committee members and ensure that they receive appropriate training.
- Ability to analyze data and develop strategies based on evaluation of previous results and research.
- Ability to manage donor accounts.
- Preferred skills with Adobe Creative Suite and/or Microsoft Publisher.
- Ability to manage time effectively and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to operate computer and software, including Microsoft Office and Donation Tracker.
- Ability to use department equipment such as computer, copy machine, and telephone.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functional competencies of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, bend, kneel, climb stairs and walk; use hands or fingers, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- The work environment is usually a well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor setting with adequate ventilation. Minimal exposure to outside elements. This position requires infrequent travel, which may involve exposure to extreme weather elements.
- The Salina Area United Way is open from 8-5 Monday through Friday. It is expected that the Executive Director is generally in the office during this time. However, certain tasks can be done outside of these hours and outside of the office. Occasionally, the Executive Director will be expected to participate in events which take place outside of the 8-5 working hours.
Please submit your cover letter and Resume to: SAUWApplications@gmail.com