POSITION: Executive Director
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this document are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The United Way of Whitley County provides reasonable accommodation to qualified employees and applicants with known disabilities who require accommodation to complete the application process or perform essential functions of the job, unless the accommodation would cause an undue hardship. Incumbent serves as Executive Director, responsible for the overall operation of the United Way of Whitley County.
- Implement all policies adopted by the Board of Directors
- Accountable for adherence to United Way of America’s Membership Requirements
- Ensures that legal obligations of the United Way are met
- Resource development and fundraising practices
- Oversees disbursements to partner agencies
- Builds relationships to broaden revenue sources
- Ability to identify, develop and write grant applications.
- Along with the Financial Committee prepares the United Way of Whitley County’s budget related to fiscal and human resources
- Maintains internal controls and transparency of funds
- Oversees annual campaign, donor recognition and Day of Caring event
- Directs and coordinates agency through paid and unpaid volunteers, provides motivation and training to achieve optimal results
- Supervises and evaluates the staff
- Provides overall direction for personnel functions and activities
- Regularly assesses community needs with pressing concerns the focus
- Trains volunteers in the resource allocation process
- Evaluates programs provided or funded by the United Way of Whitley County
- Responsible for planning and implementing new programs
- Spokesperson for the United Way of Whitley County
- Cultivates relationships with volunteers to serve and support the organization
- Oversees all marketing functions
- Oversees all strategic planning processes with the Board of Directors
- Maintains relationships with the Board and Board committees
- Maintains relations with all United Way Partner Organizations
- Maintains relations with other professional, social, governmental, faith-based, and business groups
- Serves on community committees in keeping with the United Way’s mission.
I. JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Three to five years of non-profit management experience
- Ability to organize and conduct presentations, training sessions and group solicitations
- Ease with handling difficult questions in an honest and understanding manner
- Able to work with diverse groups of people
- Must pass a background check
Incumbent is responsible for directing operations at one permanent office location and various even locations throughout Whitley County. Incumbent is responsible for supervising staff and volunteers. Incumbent develops objectives for day to day operations and establishes administrative policies, procedures, and performance standards. Incumbent receives governance assistance and organizational policy direction from Board of Directors. Work is primarily reviewed for soundness of judgment and attainment of objectives.
III. PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Incumbent performs a majority of duties in a standard office environment, involving sitting and walking at will and speaking clearly. Incumbent regularly works extended hours and travels out of town for presentations,meetings, and conferences, sometimes overnight.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.