United Way of Central Iowa is seeking an Executive Assistant to support and advance United Way’s mission of improving lives by providing professional administrative support to the President and Chief Operating Officer in order to meet organizational goals in the priority areas of education, income and health. The Executive Assistant works under minimal supervision and delivers a full range of administrative services with a superior customer service approach. This position makes independent decisions about planning, organizing and scheduling of his/her own work. Utilizing sound discretion and judgment is required to resolve problems and make recommendations for solutions and actions.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest and desire in the organization’s mission and success in community impact in the areas of education, income and health, and value the importance of team work and collaboration. Experience with managing a busy executive calendar in Outlook and managing multiple items on a daily basis is required. The successful candidate will also have experience with preparing meetings and meeting documents for attendees preferably using an electronic delivery method and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. A minimum of five years’ experience with administrative support and two years’ experience in executive level support. This position reports to the President and the Chief Operating Officer.
Why Choose United Way?
United Way of Central Iowa is an established and highly respected nonprofit in the Central Iowa area and the United Way Worldwide network. Employees at UWCI have a passion for the organization’s mission and community impact work and strive to create a positive and welcoming work environment. Our Core Values of Compassion, Integrity, Community Engagement, Responsiveness and Striving for Excellence is the foundation for how we do our work and to reach our aspiration to “Engage Community to Empower All.” In addition to a competitive salary and robust benefits package including health insurance, a dental plan, 401(k) with match and paid life insurance, we offer the following:
- On-site cafeteria
- Free on-site fitness center
- Commitment to employee professional development
- Fun monthly opportunities for employees to build camaraderie
- Wellness initiatives
- Convenient central Des Moines location with free parking
- Paid volunteer time off
- Participating in cross-functional teams and organization-wide initiatives and projects
- Tuition Assistance
- Generous paid vacation plan, holidays, a personal holiday and sick time
Essential Accountabilities Include (but not limited to):
- Provides confidential and professional administrative support to the President and Chief Operating Officer in a manner that enhances their effectiveness and efficiency within their roles.
- Coordinates general administrative duties including calendars, meeting coordination, travel arrangements, incoming and outgoing calls, correspondence and other communications in a manner that respects the confidentiality of the communication.
- Maintains an appropriate and clear line of communication with the President and COO on a regularly scheduled basis to discuss upcoming presentations, meetings, projects, travel plans, mail, invitations, and other time-sensitive topics.
- Uses organizational knowledge and manager’s preferences to guide decision-making and high level customer service.
- Anticipates and identifies any issues, conflicts and situations and proactively resolves them in a timely manner.
- Communicates in a timely and appropriate manner with executive volunteers and other leaders at United Way.
- Responsible for maintaining an efficient file management system and conduct research for background material, data, etc. for reports, speeches, presentations and correspondence.
- Assists in preparations for all staff meetings and executive level meetings
- Creates and enhances ad hoc reports and presentations. This may include working with data and data analysis and interaction with leaders, volunteers and staff to gather information.
- Provides staff support for Board and Board Committees including minutes, meetings and file maintenance in their appointment as Assistant Secretary to the board. Responsible for Governance maintenance of corporate files and processes.
- Coordinates travel arrangements for other management and staff as necessary.
- Assists with events and significant projects for the executive area and other departments. May periodically develop and implement projects at the request of the President and/or COO.
- Collaborates with various staff and external committees as necessary to assist with monitoring the current status of some work projects to ensure timely completion.
- Acts and the primary back-up for front desk coverage and incoming mail processing
- Communication Skills - Oral and Written; .Accurate: Adaptable; Customer Oriented: Relationship Building; Initiative; Organized; Time Management; Project Management: Tactful and Diplomatic; Decision Making; Intuition; Autonomy; Problem Solving.
- High school diploma with some continuing education in the administrative field; AA degree preferred.
- A minimum 5 years of experience in administrative support with at least 2 years of experience in executive level support.
- Solid experience in using Outlook for scheduling as well as Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with office equipment including using large printers for multiple copies and software applications that enhance communications with several individuals.
- Working and supporting a board of directors preferred.
United Way is an equal opportunity employer and employment practices are implemented without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religious beliefs, age, disability, sexual orientation, citizenship status, military status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local fair employment practices.