We’re more than fundraisers. We’re the hand-raisers and game changers. We go looking for the tough issues in our community, and with your help, we go solve them. United Way of Greater Kansas City (UWGKC) unites donors, volunteers, businesses, nonprofits and community leaders to help change the lives of those in need. We are making Kansas City and the surrounding area better…100 years and counting. Come be a part of the pinnacle nonprofit in our community!
United Way of Greater Kansas City, is a flexible workplace where we trust employees and managers to work together to establish the optimal balance of office and remote work for individual, team and organization success. Full time employees are scheduled to work 37.5 hours per week with an option of a condensed 4.5 day work week.
We are searching for an experienced Events Manager to support annual marketing strategy and assist with the planning and execution of signature events, immersive experiences and donor network events. Working in a Full-Time capacity, this individual will be responsible for tracking benefits for our donors, sponsors and community partners. The Events Manager will manage several projects at the same time so the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and make quick decisions is imperative. The Events Manager will work collaboratively with multiple United Way teams to create events that align with the organization’s mission and values.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support United Way philanthropic and impact events
- Plan event logistics with third-party vendors, venues and internal team
- Assist with events on the day of, including problem-solving, welcoming guests, directing event set-up/tear-down, communicating with staff and organizing vendors
- Support the marketing plan for all United Way events
- Coordinate event programming including facilitation, food and beverage, overall program, etc
- Develop event timelines, budgets and proposals
- Coordinate with vendors, sponsors and volunteers to ensure the successful execution of events
- Negotiate contracts with vendors and work with finance team on payment
- Create and manage event registrations
- Serve as event leader, facilitating sessions and speaking to small groups
- Prepare other staff members to lead events with logistics information, program preparation, etc.
- Project Management
- Track budget, supervise third parties, follow timelines and manage team members to achieve targeted objectives
- Ensure all constituents are utilizing the benefits they receive by updating tracking system and working cross-functionally to ensure needs are being met
- Prioritize projects and events to meet all deadlines
- Complete and assign duties in Asana
- Operational Excellence
- Monitor and assess United Way events, develop recommendations for improvement
- Maintain accurate event information in appropriate databases on a regular and consistent basis
- Contribute to and create overall event logistic plans so that events are able to be duplicated and scaled
- Seek to understand needs in advance and provide proactively to delight contacts
- Regularly assess progress to goals, identifying what drives and impedes progress, work to develop solutions to address gaps
- Contribute to building a positive and results-oriented culture that delivers upon UWGKC’s mission driven strategic, operational and financial objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in the field of hospitality, business, public relations, communications, marketing, or another related field.
- 2+ years of experience and demonstrated success in events or related field.
- Excellent visual, verbal and written communication skills. Eye for design aesthetics.
- Knowledge of event-related business practices, including vendor management, logistics, program vision etc.
- Ability to speak Spanish is preferred but not required.
- Desire to continuously learn and grow. Curiosity to understand how your job impacts the work of others. Desire to see the big picture.
- Must have organizational skills and attention to details. Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner. Must have the ability to manage projects, workload and engage constructively with the other members of the UWGKC team.
- Makes decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; able to make a quick decision.
United Way of Kansas City offers a competitive benefits package including full health and dental coverage; Three-weeks paid vacation; 403B with company match; flexible office culture; employee development opportunities and a hybrid work environment.