United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey’s mission is to end poverty and expand opportunity for all. As we celebrate our 100th anniversary of serving Greater Philadelphia, we are focused on new approaches to harnessing the collective power of our region to help individuals and families break the cycle of poverty, and new ways of engaging and investing in the communities we serve.
Role Summary: The Events Manager for United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey (UWGPSNJ) reports to the Chief Engagement Officer in the Office of the President/CEO. The qualified candidate will work across all departments within the organization to deliver a comprehensive and cohesive events program for all UWGPSNJ constituents. This role manages the planning and executing external events such as the annual OpportUNITY Summit, cultivation and stewardship events, affinity group programming, board meetings and special initiatives to ensure consistency, quality, cost-effectiveness, and success. The role requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external constituents including staff, board members, committees, donors, vendors, and community partners.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the primary liaison for key events in the Office of the President/CEO, Development Department and Mission Delivery Teams.
- Develop event programming, source and secure speakers, venues, and vendors, create menus, décor, programming, and event flow, create collateral materials, source gifts, prepare briefings and manage travel to ensure all events are successful.
- Develop, monitor, and reconcile event budgets.
- Utilize internal CRM and create other in-house database tools to manage invitations, create registration pages, collect payments if applicable, track RSVPs, and finalize attendee information.
- Support departments in conceiving, planning, and executing events that effectively engage target audiences.
- Produce high-quality event content for print, website, and social media.
- Maintain positive working relationships with internal and external constituents to ensure effective execution of events.
- Ability to manage multiple events simultaneously. Provide Senior Leadership Team with updates on the status of events in a timely manner. Work in conjunction with the Chief Engagement Officer on managing and balancing priorities for time sensitive matters.
- Be able to solicit volunteers for events, as needed.
- Perform additional duties as assigned and assist with special projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication, organizational, interpersonal, and public speaking skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, experience in event planning and ability to work cross-departmentally.
- Must be able to meet deadlines, solve problems, and communicate concisely for internal/external relations.
- Ability to produce content for print, website, and social media in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work effectively with donors, vendors, staff, community partners, volunteers, and the public.
- The ability to work proactively and motivate and lead others.
- Bachelor’s degree or requisite experience equal to a 4-year degree required.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in special events, preferably for a non-profit organization.
- Direct event planning experience and relationship management required.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and problem-solving skills required.
- Experience with contract administration.
- Audio-visual and computer technical capabilities preferred.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities in a deadline sensitive environment
- Proficient in MS Office/Google Suite and experience with relational databases.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
- Physical requirements for the position are in alignment with stated job functions
- Evening and weekend hours may be required based on event schedule.
Due to the nature of this position, proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required for all candidates. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons.
UWGPSNJ promotes a culture of inclusion and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected factor.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.