Summary of Position:
The events manager is responsible for the planning, management and execution of events reaching multiple audiences (walks, community and affinity group events, fundraisers, summits, etc.). OCUW’s signature fundraising events include:
- WPF Breakfast
- Rally for Change
- Fall Fundraiser
He/she is responsible for ensuring that all events:
- Reflect an understanding of the target audience(s) needs, wants and attitudes
- Help to establish, build and maintain a relationship with the target audience(s)
- Connect the target audience with the brand and the mission
- Create an atmosphere that is engaging, inspirational and enjoyable
- Create opportunities for engaging guests to our work
- Work with volunteer event committees to ensure they have the tools necessary to serve as ambassadors for the organization
- Manage multiple events across overlapping timelines to ensure successful execution of each event
- Mission Focused / Brand Steward
- Relationship Oriented / Collaborator
- Leading and Motivating
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Effective Communication and Influential
- Business Knowledge/Savvy
- Partnering and Teamwork
- Personal Excellence
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage all aspects of events and programs including: project planning, budgets, communications, production, site planning, production, venues and vendors, staffing, analysis and reporting, and flawless execution day of event.
- Create systems, policies and procedures for effective fundraising, recruitment and retention of event participants, partners and sponsors
- Develop online and offline communication materials with the support of the Marketing & Communications Team
- Create and manage accurate records of event participation and attendance
- Develop strategic relationships with venues, vendors, key stakeholders, corporate, etc.
- Work with volunteer committees to engage and support input into the event programs
- Develop a deep understanding of Orange County United Way’s (OCUW) brand, mission and positioning to ensure that all materials leverage the brand and communicate our message clearly and effectively.
- Manage the development and production of event marketing collateral following all OCUW guidelines prescribed by the Marketing Team – including but not limited to: brochures, invitations (printed and digital), programs, email marketing and direct mail pieces.
- Collaborate cross departmentally to determine goals, measurable outcomes and content, incorporating “mission moments” and fundraising opportunities.
- Negotiate vendor contracts and pricing, and securing in-kind donations when needed.
- Contribute innovative ideas and solutions to all events.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree with 4 years successful experience in developing and executing events.
- Fundraising and events background
- Proven track record leveraging opportunities, managing vendors and motivating volunteers to successful execution of an event.
- Ability to analyze event data and report out with recommendations
- Enthusiasm, creativity, sense of humor and can-do attitude.
- Experience with large scale events (1,000+ attendees).
- Demonstrated ability to proactively manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Comprehensive understanding of budgeting and accounting principles.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to successfully work independently and in a team environment.
- Team player with demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service and apply sound judgment when dealing with committees, vendors, donors and volunteers.
- Results driven and detail-oriented, with a strong work ethic and high level of integrity.
- Knowledge of industry standards and best practices with working knowledge of up to date event technology.
- Excellent computer skills; solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, including mail merge capabilities.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Email marketing tools that track registration and sponsorship investments
Physical Demands (Include travel)
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Events Manager. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers to handle or feel. The employee is required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Reliable transportation and a clean driving record are required as the employee will need to travel throughout Orange County to engagement events. Set-up and take down for donor engagement events. Ability to operate a computer keyboard, and lift files and reports. Exposure to glare from a computer. Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds.
These work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the events manger will encounter. Participation in early morning and evening meetings and events will be required. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- Commensurate with experience, education, and market $65,000 - $85,000 per year.
- Competitive benefits.
Send Resumes To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614