We’re more than fundraisers. We’re the hand-raisers and game changers. We go looking for the tough issues in our community, and with your help, we go solve them. United Way of Greater Kansas City (UWGKC) unites donors, volunteers, businesses, nonprofits and community leaders to help change the lives of those in need. We are making Kansas City and the surrounding area better…100 years and counting.Come be a part of the pinnacle nonprofit in our community!
United Way of Greater Kansas City, is a flexible workplace where we trust employees and managers to work together to establish the optimal balance of office and remote work for individual, team and organization success. Full time employees are scheduled to work 37.5 hours per week with an option of a condensed 4.5 day work week.
We are searching for an experienced Events Director to lead and execute donor network, brand experience and mission-centered events for our organization. The Events Director is responsible for ensuring events are executed at a high caliber with incredible attention to detail that leads to higher engagement and satisfaction rates for constituents. This position will collaborate with other departments at United Way along with our constituents to create excellent brand experiences for audiences of 20-500+ people. This person needs to be a self-starter with the ability to work individually and collaboratively. The Events Director will manage several events happening at the same time so the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and make quick decisions is imperative. While this position will have support from others, the Events Director will be primarily responsible for building, leading and executing all events that fall under their responsibilities.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build, manage and execute donor network events for groups of 20-500+ people:
- Increase attendance across all United Way brand experiences
- Collaborate and communicate with Community Impact and Development teams to ensure we are working collaboratively to address constituent needs
- Co-create, plan and execute an annual donor engagement benefit plan to strengthen involvement and build and retain our donor community
- Attend United Way donor network Cabinet meetings and build plans for what constituents want
- Manage donor benefits for all networks
- Oversee all aspects of planning and management of United Way’s large signature events, including:
- Create unique experiences that leave stakeholders feeling connected to United Way
- Secure venues and negotiate contracts
- Manage relationships with vendors and internal teams, maintaining strong relationships
- Plan event logistics such as venue, seating, dining, and guest list
- Coordinating event entertainment, including music, performers, and guest speakers
- Create comprehensive and readable financial reports to stay on track to event budgets
- Manage and oversee events on the day of, including problem-solving, welcoming guests, directing event set-up, communicating with staff, organizing vendors, and take-down
- Communicate with peers to create effective invitations, social and other advertisements for each event
- Conduct post event attendee surveys and lead internal debrief meetings
- Meet or exceed budget goals while planning event specifications
- Recruit and manage volunteers to assist with event coverage
- Manage and recruit speakers/performers/talent/etc for event purposes
- Project Management:
- Track budget, supervise third parties, follow timelines and manage team members to achieve targeted objectives
- Ensure all donor networks are utilizing the benefits they receive by creating a tracking system and working cross-functionally to ensure needs are being met
- Prioritize projects and events to meet all deadlines
- Operational Excellence:
- Monitor and assess donor network benefits, develop recommendations for improvement
- Maintain accurate event information in appropriate databases on a regular and consistent basis
- Create overall event logistic plans so that events are able to be duplicated and scaled
- Seek to understand needs in advance and provide proactively to delight contacts
- Regularly assess progress to goals, identifying what drives and impedes progress, work to develop solutions to address gaps
- Contribute to building a positive and results-oriented culture that delivers upon UWGKC’s mission driven strategic, operational and financial objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in the field in nonprofit management, public administration, business, public relations, communications, marketing, or another related field
- 4-6 years’ experience and demonstrated success in event planning and project management
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication, organization and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated leadership in relationship building and management, both inside and outside UWGKC is critical. The ability to think strategically and create commitment to fostering an inclusive environment consistent with UWGKC’s focus on diversity and inclusion.
- Experience planning virtual and in-person meetings and events
- Demonstrated ability to work with executive levels in business, industry and government, foundation management, and other key community leaders
- Desire to continuously learn and grow. Curiosity to understand how your job impacts the work of others. Desire to see the big picture.
- Must have organizational skills and attention to details. Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently; arranges information and files in a useful manner. Must have the ability to manage projects, workload and engage constructively with the other members of the UWGKC team.
United Way of Kansas City offers a competitive benefits package including full health and dental coverage; Three-weeks paid vacation; 403B with company match; flexible office culture; employee development opportunities and a hybrid work environment.