Purpose of Position
The Marketing and Events Specialist will be responsible for implementing marketing and event strategy to create awareness for WelcomeHomeOC, our housing navigation and landlord incentive program, and attract new property owners to our network. They are responsible for planning and executing both prospecting and recognition events with the goal of building out our existing property owner network and growing our rental unit inventory to the level required to meet and exceed the housing goals for our Emergency Housing Voucher contract. The Emergency Housing Voucher program is a new national program available through the American Rescue Plan Act to provide housing choice vouchers to local Public Housing Authorities in order to assist individuals and families who are homeless, at risk of homelessness or who are fleeing or attempting to flee, domestic violence, sexual assault, or human trafficking. The successful candidate will also manage, organize and implement marketing projects for print and digital. The Marketing and Events Specialist is responsible for understanding the needs and documenting the requirements of each project, prioritizing delivery dates and successfully completing each project on time.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Property Engagement Manager by leading the project management of a series of integrated messaging and strategic advertising campaigns, aimed at attracting new property owners to engage in our work.
- Manage the planning, design, production, site management, distribution, day-of-execution, timelines, reporting, and staffing (including through vendors) for all marketing campaigns and events conducted in support of the recruitment and retention of WelcomeHomeOC property partners.
- Manage the development and production of printed and digital collateral including but not limited to: brochures, invitations, programs, email marketing and direct mail pieces, and ads, following all Orange County United Way and United to End Homelessness guidelines prescribed by the Marketing Team.
- Serve as liaison to contracted designers, marketing consultants, writers, public relations consultants, and video production teams.
- Collaborate with Property Engagement team and the Events team to develop recognition events for current property network members to retain and expand their participation in the program.
- Focuses on building a relationship with the target audience, understanding their needs, clearly communicating our solution, and successfully guiding them towards further engagement with WelcomeHomeOC.
- Create and distribute network communications to current partners and external communications to prospects through emails, newsletters, mailings, and other mediums.
- Generate regular reports on marketing metrics to evaluate and recommend improvements to campaigns, including ROI, digital advertising KPIs, emails opens/clicks, website analytics, event participation, and SEO.
- Maintain the marketing, events, and communications calendar for WelcomeHomeOC.
- Maintain inventory of all print and digital marketing and event materials including fliers, signage, displays, event props, collateral, logos, branding, videos, news articles, advertisements, visual content, approved verbiage, and other assets.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of Orange County United Way’s (OCUW) brand, mission and positioning as well as a deep understanding of the goals and positioning of the United to End Homelessness Initiative (U2EH) and the WelcomeHomeOC program to ensure that all materials leverage the brand and communicate our message clearly and effectively.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, events, or communications fields preferred, but not required.
- At least one (1) year of professional experience in marketing, event planning, or related work, demonstrating an ability to proactively manage multiple simultaneous projects, meet appropriate deadlines, adjust to new priorities, and balance short-term needs with long-term strategic initiatives, preferred.
- Knowledge of industry standards and best practices with working knowledge of up to date event and marketing technology, preferred.
- Knowledgeable about affordable housing, public housing, residential rentals, property management, real estate businesses, housing vouchers, and/or the Orange County rental market and submarkets is beneficial.
- Familiarity with people experiencing homelessness, chronic health and mental health concerns, domestic and intimate partner violence, poverty, reintegration from institutions, post-military, and the social services available to these groups is beneficial.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams including marketing, designer, media, print vendors.
- Excellent computer skills; solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, including mail merge capabilities and Teams. Experience with Airtable, Salesforce, or other CRM or database tool is highly desirable.
- Working familiarity or better with common marketing tools like MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, analytics, SEO, Google Ads, and more as we expand.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Email marketing tools that track registration and sponsorship investments.
- Strategic thinker and team player, who is inclusive, adaptable, creative, and energetic, ready to succeed under a demanding workload with diverse collaborators, while displaying sensitivity to cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of our clients.
- Resourceful and flexible able to adjust to competing deadlines and take responsibility for results.
- Detail oriented, equally attentive to the grammar in the copy, color matching to the style guide, and chicken/fish on event RSVPs.
- Excellent communication skills, especially written and visual, and know how to tell a story directly, compellingly, and briefly.
- Highly organized, able to plan and execute successful prospecting, educational, and recognition events.
Physical Demands (Include travel)
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Marketing and Events Specialist. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers to handle or feel. The employee is required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Reliable transportation and a clean driving record are required as the employee will need to travel throughout Orange County to engagement events. Set-up and take down for events. Ability to operate a computer keyboard, and lift files and reports. Exposure to glare from a computer. Ability to lift and carry 25 pounds.
These work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the Marketing and Events Specialist will encounter. Participation in early morning and evening meetings and events will be required. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South
rvine, CA 92614