ORANGE COUNTY UNITED WAY
Job Title: Education Specialist, United for Student Success
Reporting To: Sr. Program Manager, United for Student Success
Department: United for Student Success
Purpose of Position
The Education Specialist will align and support Orange County United Way’s (OCUW) FACE 2024 and United for Students Success (U4SS) Initiative to systematically increase our region’s high school graduation rate to 95% among students from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds. The Education Specialist will work with United Way’s U4SS team to innovate and improve employer engagement, which generates program participation, college and career awareness, and additional funding opportunities. This dynamic individual will also get to work with existing United Way corporate partners, donors and local organizations to cultivate new partnerships; raise visibility in the community; track and use data for program performance, and obtain fresh perspectives as continuous improvement is integral to our ability to effectively contribute to transformative systems changes that benefit students in Orange County.
This entry-level coordinator position is a one-year grant-funded position and is full-time (37.5 hours/week). The Education Specialist will report to the Sr. Program Manager, United for Student Success. Our initiatives are growing, so we are looking for a go-getter who is just as excited to grow with us as they are to grow our workforce!
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Youth Career Connections (YCC) as well as college and career readiness efforts at the school, district and regional levels
- Attend relevant work-based learning meetings to further strengthen activities and stay up-to-date on new work-based learning models.
- Support the development and management of OCUW’s “Youth Career Connections Program” for high school students that include the following activities:
- Workplace Mentorship
- Classroom Speakers
- Industry Site Visits
- Start-Up Bootcamp
- Summer Career & Life Prep Academy
- Ensure compliance with state and federal laws and all district requirements, especially when placing and managing students in Workplace Mentorships.
- Provide support to the United for Student Success Team in various United for Student Success Initiatives including: Class of 2023 e-Mentorship, Destination Graduation, Healthy Schools Initiative, Youth Career Connections with various partners related to educational initiatives.
- Conduct presentations on educational initiatives to internal United Way staff, corporate partners, educational partners, students, parents, and teachers.
- Help coordinate high school and college interns.
- Oversee the outreach and recruitment of volunteers into various educational initiatives.
- Manage aspects of event planning and coordinate on-going educational events.
- Manage aspects of social media content and presence.
- Create and coordinate marketing collateral for student outreach and education.
- Manage and update corporate, education, and agency lists of corporate partners on database management software
- Support U4SS Initiative and related activities (i.e. corresponding sub-committees, campaigns, special projects, etc.)
- Support OCUW staff coordinate U4SS Leadership Council and Committees as well as other leadership groups committed to strengthening our programmatic goals.
- Coordinate efforts (i.e. trainings, strategic planning, development of marketing materials, etc.) to build OCUW’s organizational capacity to become a powerful work based learning intermediary, advocate, and community leader.
- Maintain United for Student Success data tracking, collecting, analysis, and reporting systems.
- Additional priorities include contributing to the development and improvement of structures, practices, and processes to strengthen our evaluation process.
- Provide support to outside vendors and contractors, as assigned
- Work interdepartmentally to create an effective, measurable, and sustainable employer/donor pipeline for work-based learning engagement with local high schools
- Attend and/or facilitate relevant meetings, trainings, workshops, outside events and organization-wide activities
- Additional responsibilities and functions as assigned.
Job Requirements /Technical Knowledge
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in education, psychology, sociology, human services, social work, business administration, workforce development, communications or related field
- 2+ years of experience in the field of education, academic support services and/or community outreach
- Familiarity with equity-minded research-based approaches to: work-based learning, projects-based learning models, differentiated instruction, mixed-skill and age grouping, culturally relevant teaching practices and working with English Language Learners and underserved youth
- Demonstrated record in achieving results with low-income youth and teens
- Understanding of and ability to meet performance-based outcomes
- Knowledge of program development, implementation and evaluation, particularly as this relates to high school students
- Proven record of excellent writing and communication skills
- Event planning and coordination, both small and large scale events, preferred
- Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously
Strong Knowledge of:
- Communities Served - Priority will be given to applicants with experience working with underserved schools and school districts, key decision makers and stakeholders (e.g. businesses, community, service providers, teachers, students, and parents) within the Orange County region. Working knowledge of small school academies, Linked Learning pathways, California Partnership Academies, or National Academy Foundation academies is a plus.
- OCUW United for Student Success Programming
- Class of 2023 e-Mentorship campaign (eMc)
- Destination Graduation (DG)
- Healthy Schools Initiative (HSI)
- Youth Career Connections (YCC), regional occupational programs, career technical education, and career-themed pathways is a plus.
- Achieving Outcomes – Must be results-driven and able to demonstrate a history of meeting goals in an ever-changing environment.
- Communications – Superior interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Organizational Management – Excellent project management and multi-tasking skills.
- Leadership – Strong leadership skills (e.g. committed, honest, positive, reliable, creative, flexible, sense of humor, etc.) with a proven track record in managing broad-based efforts with a diverse set of stakeholders and partners.
- Problem Solving – Collaborative in planning, decision-making, and seeking various creative solutions to resolve issues.
- Teamwork – Ability to work independently, yet is highly team oriented.
- Relationship Building – Experience in building and maintaining relationships with business, education, and community partnerships is critical.
Physical demands are representative of the requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The employee is required to actively listen and communicate clearly. The employee is required to stand and publically speak. The employee is required to walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close and far. Ability to operate a computer keyboard and mouse, and lift files and reports is required. Employee must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Send Resumes To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614