Job Title: Education Program Specialist, United for Student Success Reporting To: Associate Director, United for Student Success
Department: United for Student Success Position: Full-time/EXEMPT
Purpose of Position
The Education Program Specialist will support Orange County United Way’s (OCUW) FACE 2024 and United for Students Success (U4SS) Initiative to systematically increase our region’s high school graduation rate to 95% among students from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds. The Education Program Specialist will work with United Way’s U4SS team on the development, coordination, and implementation of existing and new educational programming of the U4SS initiative portfolio.
This dynamic individual will also get to work with existing United Way corporate partners, donors and local organizations and school districts to cultivate new and existing partnerships; raise visibility in the community; track and use data for program performance, and obtain fresh perspectives as continuous improvement is integral to our ability to effectively contribute to transformative systems changes that benefit students in Orange County.
This entry-level specialist position is a one-year grant-funded position and is full-time (37.5 hours/week). The Education Program Specialist will report to the Associate Director, United for Student Success.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
● Support U4SS Education Programs and events as well as college and career readiness efforts at the high school, district and regional levels
o Attend relevant college readiness and work based experiential learning meetings to further strengthen activities and stay up-to-date on new best practices.
o Support the coordination of U4SS programs for high school students.
o Ensure compliance with state and federal laws and all district requirements, especially when placing and managing students in U4SS programs.
● Provide support to the U4SS Team in various programs with various partners related to educational initiatives.
o Conduct presentations on educational initiatives to internal United Way staff, corporate partners, educational partners, students, parents, and teachers.
o Facilitate outreach and recruitment of students, parents and volunteers into various educational initiatives.
o Maintain aspects of social media content and presence.
o Create and coordinate marketing collateral for student outreach and education.
o Maintain corporate, education, and agency lists of corporate partners on database management software
o Provide routine program logistics to ensure quality of programs
o Monitor program development and timelines and communicate status
o Monitor enrollments and report updates to Associate Director
o Update program materials, schedules, requirements and provide information to students and partners
● Support OCUW staff coordination of U4SS Leadership Council and Committees as well as other leadership groups committed to strengthening our programmatic goals.
● Support U4SS in creating and monitoring budgets of programs, as assigned.
● Coordinate efforts (i.e. trainings, strategic planning, development of marketing materials, etc.) to build OCUW’s organizational capacity to become a powerful college readiness and work based experiential learning intermediary, advocate, and community leader.
● Maintain U4SS data tracking, collecting, analysis, and reporting systems.
o Make recommendations on changes/additions to educational portfolio of offerings based on student, parent and partner feedback, evaluations, historical data, and systems capabilities
● Provide support to outside vendors and contractors, as assigned.
● Work interdepartmentally to create an effective, measurable, and sustainable employer/donor pipeline for college readiness and work based experiential learning engagement with local high schools
● Attend, organize and/or facilitate relevant meetings, trainings, workshops, outside events and organization-wide activities.
● Additional responsibilities and functions as assigned.
Job Requirements /Technical Knowledge
● Minimum of an undergraduate degree in education, psychology, sociology, human services, social work, communications or related field.
● 2+ years of experience in the field of education, academic support services and/or community outreach preferred.
● Familiarity with equity-minded research-based approaches to: college readiness and work based experiential learning, projects-based learning models, differentiated instruction, mixed-skill and age grouping, culturally relevant teaching practices and working with English Language Learners and underserved youth.
● Demonstrated record in achieving results with low-income youth and teens.
● Understanding of and ability to meet performance-based outcomes.
● Knowledge of program development, implementation and evaluation, particularly as this relates to high school students.
● Proven record of excellent writing and communication skills.
● Event planning and coordination, both small and large-scale events, preferred.
● Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously.
Strong Knowledge of:
● Communities Served - Priority will be given to applicants with experience working with underserved schools and school districts, key decision makers and stakeholders (e.g. businesses, community, service providers, teachers, students, and parents) within the Orange County region. Working knowledge of high school college readiness and work based experiential learning.
● Communications – Superior interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
● Achieving Outcomes – Must be results-driven and able to demonstrate a history of meeting goals in an ever-changing environment.
● Organizational Management – Excellent project management and multi-tasking skills.
● Leadership – Strong leadership skills (e.g. committed, honest, positive, reliable, creative, flexible, sense of humor, etc.) with a proven track record in managing broad-based efforts with a diverse set of stakeholders and partners.
● Problem Solving – Collaborative in planning, decision-making, and seeking various creative solutions to resolve issues.
● Teamwork – Ability to work independently, yet is highly team-oriented.
● Relationship Building – Experience in building and maintaining relationships with business, education, and community partnerships is critical.
Commensurate with experience, education, and market, the salary range is $64,480- $70,000
Physical demands are representative of the requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. The employee is required to actively listen and communicate clearly. The employee is required to stand and publically speak. The employee is required to walk, reach with arms and hands, climb, balance, twist, lean, move from one location to another, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close and far. Ability to operate a computer keyboard and mouse, and lift files and reports is required. Employee must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Send Resumes To:
Orange County United Way
18012 Mitchell South, Irvine, CA 92614