Job Title: Education Specialist-Part Time
Department: Community Impact
Reports to: Senior Manager, Early Learning
Location: Wimauma, FL and working virtually
Why United Way Suncoast?
At United Way Suncoast, important work is met with kindness and celebration, and challenges are met with brilliant collaboration. We are improving lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities around the world to advance the common good. We are looking for an Education Specialist to join our team of diverse changemakers.
Are you ready to make a positive impact in your community?
As United Way Suncoast continues to sever the constraints that prevent families from thriving, we seek an Education Specialist to concentrate on early learning in this meaningful part time position. This opportunity will help children improve their literacy skills and develop ways to become more confident readers. While managing a tutoring site, you will work with and advise a great group of volunteers who share this passion. In addition, you will have ongoing training and support from a literacy expert.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities Include the Following:
(Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Responsibility for managing volunteers for UWS in alignment with this initiative. This includes answering any questions and continually supporting volunteers with ideas for session activities and any other educational, technological, and logistical components of sessions.
- Lead sessions that may be held virtually with either the student or volunteer logging in for the session. This will require a good understanding of virtual platforms and various education websites. Also requires the ability to train volunteers on how to effectively use this technology within the session needs.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Elementary Education. Articulate this both verbally and in writing and able to model suitable teaching, mentoring and tutoring methods. This will include creating and overseeing individualized lesson plans for students.
- Conduct assessments with children to determine their literacy skills and growth of these skills over time. Training and mentoring with a literacy expert will be provided.
- Read with students when their volunteer Reading All-Star Reading Coach is unable to attend and/or to help the students toward their reading goals.
- Collect and report accurate data including volunteer attendance and retention and child outcomes.
- Implement goals and strategies for the Reading All-Stars Program in alignment with the mission of UWS.
- Ability to work independently at an off-site location or remotely, developing rapport with host site staff and students’ families.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree in education or related field or equivalent experience preferred. Minimum of two years in pursuit of an education degree will be considered. Must be able to demonstrate a high level of experience in teaching methods in early education. Experience working with volunteers including recruitment, engagement, and tracking preferred but not required.
Interpersonal Skills: Strong active listening, conflict resolution, coordination, facilitation, social perceptiveness, and consensus building skills necessary.
Computer Skills: Knowledge of MS office software. When conducting virtual sessions there is a need to be comfortable with Zoom, myON and other educational game sites.
All applicants will be required to undergo a background screening in order to meet the requirements of working with school children.