Role: Economic Prosperity Initiatives Manager
Department: Education & Economic Prosperity
Reports to: Director, Economic Prosperity Initiatives
This role is responsible for supporting the development and leading the implementation of United Way's Workforce and Talent Initiatives programs focused on providing innovative responses and best-in-class program execution to help people access supportive services and good paying jobs.
Key Responsibilities (Economic Prosperity):
- Implement a portfolio of workforce and talent initiatives.
- Manage day-to-day work on partnership and investments with a focus on workforce development.
- Develop processes and accountability relating to outcomes and workforce investments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the local community, partners and agencies, as well as key regional and national individuals and organizations.
- Work cross-functionally with the Detroit Regional Workforce Fund and within UWSEM to align opportunities across economic prosperity and basic needs, health and education.
Key Responsibilities (DRWF):
- To institute strategic and targeted engagement of the Detroit community-based, faith-based, and workforce development organizations in order to provide input to the DRWF to support funding decisions, look for innovative new ideas, and create an understanding for the workforce development environment.
- To provide administrative support, project & event management, and facilitation to the DRWF Steering Committee, DRWF sub-committees, and any other facet of the Economic Prosperity department.
- To collaborate with the Executive Director to create a scan and identify changes in the market regarding technology-based workforce development tools and any collaborative efforts.
- To work in collaboration with the DRWF and UWSEM in helping to create bridges between the Fund and existing UWSEM initiatives such as 2-1-1 and Center for Working Families.
- To continue to develop relationships with alignment partners such as local government, the Mayor's Workforce Development Board, DESC and other partners.
- To work in collaboration with UWSEM and technical consultants in the enhancement of and updates to any and all DRWF websites, communications, and social media. To act as joint project manager in specific capacities in developing any internal or publicly facing data tools - coordinate activities between data partners, coordinate the technical development with public/private partners.
In addition to the core responsibilities of the position, may be asked, or may seek, to engage unique abilities, strengths and passions through participation on cross-functional teams.
- Communicates Effectively
- Relationship Management
- Continuous Learning
- Drives for Results
- Problem Solving / Critical Thinking
- Customer Focus
- Teamwork and Inclusion
- Requires strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Must communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, including proper use of grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Comfortable working in a dynamic environment and able to nimbly respond to emerging efforts
- Collaborative and enjoys working in a team-oriented environment, while able to function autonomously
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain interpersonal relationships with diverse groups and individuals
- Knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Bachelor's degree in social work, human service, public administration, education, social sciences, business or a related field
- Minimum of 5-7 years of work experience, preferably in workforce development, economic and/or community development
United Way for Southeastern Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.