United Way of Greater New Haven (UWGNH) brings people and organizations together to create solutions to Greater New Haven’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Financial Stability, and Health. We tackle issues that cannot be solved by any one group working alone.
We are seeking a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA member to participate in our efforts with Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), EARN Match Savings Program, and Your Money Your Goals Financial Literacy Curriculum. This AmeriCorps VISTA position, with the Community Impact Team, will work to engage community members and volunteers while addressing financial instability in the greater New Haven region.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in reaching out to the community and engaging organizations/businesses/faith groups/residents and passionate about helping people in need and promoting community philanthropy.
Interested candidates can view the position at:
To apply, create a profile on the My AmeriCorps Portal (https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do) and search for this VISTA position.
Start Date: July 31, 2018
Compensation: Living Stipend of $14,665 for the year
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Develop and implement plans to recruit and support the training of VITA volunteers.
● Work with Marketing and Communication department to support marketing plan around VITA.
● Be present and visible in the community and with partners (organizations, volunteers) representing UWGNH at a wide range of community events.
● Engage and manage volunteers to help execute the organization’s community impact work.
● Collaborate effectively within the organization, working cross-functionally with all departments.
● Establish effective and efficient processes that align department priorities with greater organization goals, strategy, and mission.
● Work with key partners, such as Bank On, to expand the accessibility and reach of work regarding economic mobility.
● Survey clients of the system to assess how well services are addressing need.
● Bachelor’s degree required
● Ability to work with diverse staff and groups of volunteers.
● Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
● Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a clear, 'on-target' writing style.
● Demonstrated ability to maintain positive and engaging relationships.
● Proficient with Google and MS Office.
● Proactive and strategic thinker with the ability to work both individually and collaboratively.
● Creative and result-oriented self-starter, willing to learn.
● Valid driver's license and reliable transportation preferred.
● Must be able to lift 25-50 lbs.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be:
● Personally committed to advancing UWGNH’s values, mission, goals and programs.
● A flexible, reliable, creative, outgoing and energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher.
● A superior communicator who shares information readily and concisely, and listens as well as gives advice.
● A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively.
● Emotionally mature and self-confident, with a sense of humor in order to maintain balance and perspective.