Service Term: 07/20/2020 - 07/19/2021
Since 1942, United Way of Northern Nevada and the Sierra (UWNNS) strives to link the community’s will and resources to improve lives. Beginning in 2014, UWNNS identified a key need to improve early childhood literacy and focused their primary efforts to address it. Over half of northern Nevada’s children are reading below grade level and the state high school graduation rate is near the bottom nationally. For children living in poverty, the extent is worse. The VISTA member’s efforts will focus on acquiring resources as well as solidify cooperative partnerships with donor organizations to enhance UWNNS’s capacity to implement early literacy-focused programs on a larger scale. UWNNS is recruiting for two positions under this posting. One VISTA will be primarily focused on corporate giving and the other VISTA will be focused on individual giving and donor communications.
- Assist in corporate and individual fundraising initiatives by participating in donor cultivation, donor information expansion, and communications strategies.
- Create engagement initiatives and briefings to keep partner organizations up to date on UWNNS’s current efforts.
- Acquire and strengthen partnerships with organizations that collaborate with UWNNS.
- Participate in and enhance UWNNS thank you processes.
- Partake in both group efforts and individual grant writing opportunities for UWNNS.
AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program through the Corporation for National and Community Service, which more information can be found here. VISTA members serve full time for a one-year service term and receive:
- Upon successful completion of service, choice of a Segal Education Award ($6,195.00 for education expenses) or an end of service cash stipend ($1,800.00)
- Modest living allowance of approximately $12,490.00.
- If you are moving beyond 50 miles from your home of residence to the service location, a settling-in allowance of approximately $750 and a mileage-based relocation allowance
- Upon successful completion of service, one year of Non-Competitive Eligibility status for federal jobs.
- Health benefits during service.
- Mileage reiumbursement.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Ability to multitask.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Public speaking experience.
- Vehicle Recommended.
- Preferred: Bachelor's degree in a field related to communications, marketing, or business.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older and willing to undergo a background check.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.