Job Title: Director of Volunteer Engagement & Corporate Liaison
Reporting to: Sr. Director of Development
Department: Resource Development
Exempt OR Non-exempt: Exempt
Classification: Full-time (remote work not available)
Location(s): Newport News, VA; Yorktown, VA; and within our entire service area
UWVP Success Equation:
Invest & Resource + Convene & Collaborate + Advocate & Educate
Overall Purpose of this Role:
The Director of Volunteer Engagement & Corporate Liaison serves a vital role internally and across the Virginia Peninsula Community as a part of a “one team” model. This position functions to support United Ways’ collective impact work by mobilizing volunteers from across the community to support the nonprofit sector, and serve as the liaison between UWVP’s resource development efforts and targeted corporate partners. This position works with United Way of the Virginia Peninsula’s staff, volunteers, and campaign coordinators, to match individuals and groups to community service opportunities, and assists in planning and implementing workplace campaigns. This individual is passionate about lifting our neighbors in need out of poverty, serving as an advocate in delivering the United Way message and conveying the needs of the community. By developing and deepening relationships with key community partners and through servant leadership, the Director of Volunteer Engagement & Corporate Liaison raises resources to advance United Way’s mission of ending poverty in our community.
- Models kindness with internal and external customers, upholding United Way’s commitment to equity and unity
- Understands and consistently practices responsiveness and accountability to all customers
- Communicates clearly and concisely with people from diverse backgrounds and across various platforms and media
- Coordinates various projects and events alongside corporate partners, nonprofit agencies, and committees
- Manages and leads committees, activities, and and campaigns alongside staff and partners
- Works independently to meet deadlines and in various environments in coordination with team and organizational goals and mission.
- Connects social responsibility initiatives of corporate partners to United Way’s collective impact efforts and the work of our partner agencies
- Develops and nurtures strategic relationships with United Way staff, volunteers, and campaign coordinators, providing the highest standards of customer service and professionalism.
- Provides engaging presentations to large and small audiences (in-person and/or virtually), educating residents across our community about United Way of the Virginia Peninsula
- Adapts to changing priorities
- Primary responsibilities include applying leadership, fundraising, event management and teamwork skills to consult with and assist local employers to plan and implement successful engagement activities.
- Works to connect individuals and groups to volunteer projects available on the VA Peninsula
- Oversees and promotes Volunteer Peninsula, an online volunteer engagement platform
- Assists local nonprofit organizations in posting projects and recruiting volunteers
- Manages several employee giving campaigns for strategic corporate partners. Participates in and assists other Resource Development staff in completing employee giving campaigns.
- Leads United Way’s annual Day of Caring volunteer event alongside volunteer committees, sponsors, and other staff
- Facilitates all aspects of assigned workplace campaigns executed face to face, through the mail, or virtually, which includes training campaign coordinators, assisting them in planning and conducting effective campaigns, scheduling partner agency speaker(s), providing requested materials, making presentations, and other duties as requested.
- Actively participate in Leadership and kickoff events, workshops, and other volunteer and fundraising activities as requested. Acquire an understanding of the work and value of United Way of the Virginia Peninsula and its partner agencies to give compelling presentations that inspire individuals to support United Way’s mission.
- Promote fundraising goals established by Resource Development and corporate partners, and provide feedback and insight to identify future opportunities.
- Maintain records for assigned accounts and community engagements including results, activities, and contact information. Document all interactions in Salesforce (UWVP CRM).
- Attend and provide support for all related campaign meetings/functions, including activities with our membership groups (The Emerging Leaders Society, Women United).
- Collaborate with other departments as necessary to provide year-round engagement opportunities for companies.
- Assist in administrative work as needed, including answering main line phones, and sending acknowledgement letters.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Project Management skills: including prioritizing, goal setting, and projecting outcome through account management, resource utilization, volunteer motivation, and campaign activity levels. Goal- and results-oriented are a must. Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple projects and deliver high quality, accurate work while operating in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Customer Relations skills: including new account research, preparing, and conducting presentations and development of strategies to understand donor/volunteer objectives and communicate the United Way story to volunteers, executives, and employee groups, to grow participation and campaign contributions. Strong relationship building skills are a must.
- Communication skills: including the ability to engage and speak to a diverse audience. Strong interpersonal skills including public speaking and writing as well as some creation of digital content for social media, presentations, and e-newsletters.
- Technical Skills: including using Microsoft Office, social media, and video conferencing software/platforms. Understands and analyzes CRM data to develop key strategies for engagement opportunities.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule outside of standard office hours, including weekends as needed
- Must be able to maintain confidential and sensitive information
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or 4+ years related professional experience
- Experience working with volunteers. Preferred professional/leadership experience in the nonprofit sector
- Or, a comparable combination of education and work experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- At least 2 years of human services and/or nonprofit experience
- Previous supervisory and/or project management experience
- Ability to pass an extensive background check
- Valid driver’s license, automobile insurance, and reliable transportation
- Ability to be up and moving around for long periods of time, up to 8+ hours a day for events and independently complete event set up that may require moving up to 30 pounds.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
To successfully perform the essential functions of this job, the employee will:
- Engage in ongoing communication in-person as well as through electronic means.
- Regularly use computer laptop, webcam, desk phone, and mobile phone.
- Work in a shared office space. Work out of multiple offices
- Frequently sit and/or move throughout the office, travel to offsite meetings and events across the Virginia Peninsula service area.