Director of Strategic Volunteer Engagement
Trident United Way is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit, founded in 1944 and incorporated in the state of South Carolina. Its mission is to catalyze measurable transformation in education, health and financial stability for the people of Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester Counties – known as the Tri-County area. With a vision to be the leader in uniting our community to improve lives, Trident United Way serves as the regional backbone for work utilizing the ‘collective impact’ discipline to effect systems-level change in education, health and financial stability. In this way, Trident United Way creates opportunities for all and builds upon multi-sector collaborations to address complex issues that no single entity could solve alone. More information can be found at www.tuw.org
Entrepreneurial and innovative, Trident United Way brings together a wide range of corporations, foundations, non-profits and individual citizens to achieve shared community goals. With 77-years of deep, local knowledge, Trident United Way specializes in building community and regional partnerships to address root cause challenges and build solutions in tandem with the community.
Currently, Trident United Way works with a network of almost 750 non-profit partner organizations across the region. Partners help accelerate critical work, bringing unique perspectives and expertise to advance efforts in education, health, and financial stability across the region and beyond. United Way is the largest and most trusted brand in global philanthropy.
Governed by a prestigious board of corporate, academic, health and policy leaders, Trident United Way convenes advisory bodies and networks to share knowledge and resources to form effective solutions to our community’s most pressing needs. Trident United Way serves as an advocate and a catalyst for opportunities to expand, deepen and amplify positive community impact.
WHAT WE VALUE
Integrity - We are proactive, intentionally honest and do the right thing even when no one is looking. We are responsible stewards, accountable and transparent to the community and each other.
Respect - We treat others with dignity, fairness, and trust. We encourage discussion without judgment.
Equity - We value each person's visible and invisible distinctions and strive to create fair and just systems and opportunities for all.
Collaboration - We serve as both a leader and a supporter. We value team approaches and are driven by our ability to build relationships across partners and in our community.
Innovation - We are bold, curious, and open to new ideas. We drive forward creatively to address the community's most pressing issues.
We believe our core values define and guide the culture and character of our organization. They are the standards which guide us as individuals and that collectively determine how we fulfill this mission.
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications and Volunteer Engagement, this leadership position is responsible for creating, innovating and managing Trident United Way’s Strategic Volunteer Engagement (SVE) impact area in a way that inspires and motivates stakeholders of interest to action and to support achievement of community impact and fundraising goals. The focus of the strategic volunteer engagement work aligns with the organization’s strategic direction of leveraging human capital and valuable service opportunities toward making tangible impacts on the lives of Tri-County residents.
Building relationships with both corporate and community volunteers, the director will ensure an energized, efficient and effective volunteer base of support for the organization. The director will also interact with all functional areas of the organization and be accountable for leading development of strategies, operational plans, metrics and initiatives to support 1) oversight, implementation and maintenance of board and committee volunteer recruitment and onboarding process; 2)oversight, implementation and maintenance of TUW donor network, volunteer engagement activities 3) volunteer matching, placement and support between agency and corporate partners; and 4) manages all Days of Caring logistics and oversight. The Director collaborates cross-functionally with Advancement and Community Impact divisions. At its heart, the Strategic Volunteer Engagement department builds a customer-focused service approach to strengthen relationships and engage volunteers to make community-level and programmatic impact
- Oversees, implements, and maintains the recruitment process for new leadership volunteers for internal board committees and councils including sourcing, vetting, recruitment, onboarding and evaluation of volunteer experience in coordination with staff liaisons to committees and councils as well as volunteer Chairpersons.
- Responsible for the engagement database/CRM keeping the database/CRM tools and data maintained and updated timely, including but not limited to websites, opportunity listings, inquiry/application forms, and electronic forms.
- Leads the volunteer matching experiences for TUW donor network groups in partnership with key Advancement staff, relationship managers and donor network steering committees.
- Oversees, implements, and maintains the external volunteer matching process that engages corporate partners and individuals as well as community partners. Implements external volunteer matching process steps to include sourcing projects, managing project logistics, volunteer education, managing communication between volunteers and agencies, data collection of participants and evaluation.
- Responsible for Lead United a program focused on creating tomorrow’s next community board members.
- Oversees our Skills-based volunteering model focused on finding the right matches between projects in the community and volunteer talent.
- Works collaboratively with Advancement and Community Impact relationship managers to ensure inclusiveness and continuous communication.
- Defines the strategy for growth of external volunteer base and oversees evaluation and assessment of SVE technological tools.
- Creates key performance indicator metrics and targets around volunteerism to be used in organizational reporting. Utilizes metrics to evaluate initiatives as part of goal setting and strategy development.
- Manages, temporary staff, interns for strategic volunteer engagement work
- Oversees planning, execution and evaluation of the Days of Caring community relations volunteer event.
- Monitors volunteerism and engagement as well as social issue trends throughout the region to inform strategic volunteerism foci and strategy.
- Participates as a champion, project lead, and/or member of organizational development teams as required
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to engage, lead, motivate, supervise and manage a diverse staff, community partnerships, community leaders and volunteers
- Ability to master use of databases/CRM and other web-based tools.
- Excellent written and public speaking skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Competency utilizing CRM systems
- Ability to plan, organize and facilitate meetings and presentations
- Ability to initiate action and work independently or as part of a team
- Knowledge of nonprofit agency operations and management
- Ability to develop and manage budgets
- Ability to multi-task and work in fast-paced environments at times
- Minimum of 5 years of volunteerism, human services or a related field required
- 3 years supervisory experience
- 2 years of project management experience preferred
- 5 years of systems development/management preferred
- Minimum of 1-year experience in applying evaluation methodology preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, organizational development, corporate social responsibility or related field required.
- Master’s degree preferred