JOB TITLE: Director of Strategic Communications and Public Relations
UNIT/ORGANIZATION: Reports to Chief of Staff
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
Our ideal candidate will come to work each day excited about the opportunity to share the work of United Way of Forsyth County. They will be adept at marrying the science of fundraising with the art of marketing to break the mold of what a nonprofit brand should be. United Way of Forsyth County is seeking a result driven leader who is focused on unlocking insights that identify what donors’ value, how it aligns with UWFC’s brand and the best communication strategies to disseminate the impact of donor investments. Although not a fundraising job, the successful candidate will have a proven track record of successful fundraising and demonstrated knowledge of donor expectations. To be successful, the candidate will need to rapidly become a trusted influencer who can build strong shared alignment, goals, and partnerships. They will devise data driven communication strategies to support donor acquisition, retention and engagement while ensuring audiences have a compelling journey and experience with the brand. Success of this position depends upon the candidate’s ability to work cross-functionally and collaboratively.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Communications and Marketing
- Accomplished data infused storyteller and great at coaching others to achieve the same.
- Build and implement turn-key tools and solutions that empower staff and board members to successfully meet their fundraising goals.
- Track record in using all social media platforms and creating compelling content to attract and engage donors and potential donors
- Expertise in driving growth and profitability through integrated marketing initiatives grounded in research, analytics, and segmentation.
- Combines data with marketing/communications knowledge and real-world experience to create impactful and targeted communication tools and solutions that deliver strong ROI and drive overall fundraising results.
- Maintain Communications Calendar to track and manage outgoing communications.
- Heavy focus on individual donor engagement with expectations of meeting ambitious goals around personal contact with donors and prospects.
- Prepares and executes an ongoing engagement plan for community campaign.
- Develops and implements digital fundraising campaigns in partnership with Resource Development department.
- Can efficiently develop strategy and execute tactically.
- Influence organizational decision making with empirical evidence.
- Seek new opportunities to promote the brand and share the work of UWFC.
- Creates and delivers verbal and written presentations internally and externally.
- Builds strong, strategic relationships externally to promote awareness and engage the community in the mission of UWFC.
- Develop and sustain engaging media relationships.
- Develop and manage public relations strategy on behalf of United Way, representing the organization and ensuring leaders and staff put their best foot forward in the community through promoting and attending events, developing press releases, media alerts, statements, and responses to critical issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, or Marketing
- Exceptional communication skills
- Successful experience in developing strategic detailed plans with measurable goals.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders.
- Commitment to inclusiveness and building connections with under-represented stakeholder groups.
- Success in working in partnership with residents and community organizations.
- Genuine curiosity about all aspects of the work of United Way of Forsyth County.
- Ability to present information in written, electronic and oral forms and comfortable speaking to groups of all sizes.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment across functions and able to convey key information to staff in an organized and timely manner.
- Proficiency with MS Office products, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Passion for building a better community.
- Experience working with and providing leadership to outside vendor.
- At least three years of fundraising and public relations experience.
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment and knowledge of current philanthropic giving trends.
- Demonstrate creative work with a passion for customer service and excellence, and attention to detail.
- Innovative problem solver and ability to work under stress and within strict timelines.
- Experience using Adobe Pro, Canva, and/or other software to create appealing communications material.
- Reliable home internet connection to work remotely
HOW TO APPLY
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply online by clicking https://www.forsythunitedway.org/who-we-are/careers/ or forward your resume,
United Way of Forsyth County
301 N. Main Street , Ste. 1700
Winston Salem, NC 27101
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.