United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-683-7860 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
This position will report to the Chief Strategy & Innovation Officer at United Way Worldwide and will lead the design and development of a strategic framework aimed at identifying, amplifying, and proposing cross-sectoral strategic partnerships that achieve lasting results. The successful candidate will be an innovative, highly collaborative, and transformative leader who understands the landscape of the structural and environmental influences on our organization and can leverage their expertise and the expertise of others to ensure United Way Worldwide’s path forward is one of strength, impact, and sustainability. This leader will also hold a strong ability to, in partnership with a diverse set of stakeholders, chart and implement a strategic vision, articulating clear direction and expectations, and ensuring proper planning and accountability.
Position is located On-Site in Alexandria, VA.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Partner with the Chief Strategy & Innovation Officer to drive and advance critical relationships and strategic partnership opportunities with nonprofit, corporate and government leaders on a national and global level.
- Drive the design and execution of short- and long-term strategic expansion plans aligned with the organization’s goals for two to five years.
- Partner with United Way network leaders to identify opportunities for social innovation and organizational system gaps and challenges within United Way Worldwide network.
- Guide stakeholder engagement workstreams and special initiatives to promote and amplify the organization’s contributions to Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) objectives as a national and global community leader.
- Maintain industry knowledge, trends, and marketplace conditions relative to nonprofit organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related study. Master’s degree is a plus.
- A minimum of 8 years in successive Strategy or Senior Business leader roles.
- Experience, and aptitude in one or more of our areas of focus; health & health equity, education, economic mobility.
- Demonstrated track record in successfully developing and executing a vision and strategy to scale and grow an organization’s stakeholder engagement and external partnership outcomes.
- Deep experience and expertise leading strategic partnerships, community-based partnerships and/ or philanthropic partnerships.
- Demonstrated experience designing, implementing, and executing organizational growth through innovative strategic plans.
- A lifelong learner who prides themselves on staying at the forefront of cutting-edge industry trends and best practices.
- Proven ability to work with all levels of staff within an organization.
- Experience in nonprofit strategy development is a plus.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.