GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
The Director of Resource Development & Marketing will lead all activities and be prepared to advance United Way of Ohio Valley (UWOV) resource development efforts with aggressive annual growth. Working in close collaboration with the President / CEO and Board of Directors, he/she will develop organizational strategies to support the organization’s fundraising and marketing objectives and develop long-range and short-range plans to support those strategies.
The Director of Resource Development & Marketing will provide organizational leadership in the areas of fundraising and donor cultivation, management of volunteers, implementation of best practices, and directing individual and institutional giving including leadership and major gifts.
The Director of Resource Development & Marketing works closely with the President / CEO in managing UWOV’s marketing and communications programs in alignment with the mission and vision of the organization. Creates and implements organizational communications, ensuring a consistent brand experience. Plans and executes effective marketing and strategic communications initiatives and projects that build the United Way brand, strengthening relationships with key constituencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Designing and meeting aggressive annual and long-term fundraising goals.
• Creating internal and external processes that support a culture of sustained major fundraising.
• Developing a significant portfolio of leadership and major gift donors/prospects in collaboration with the President /CEO and managing the fundraising strategy for these donors with primary responsibility for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship (range: $1,000 to $50,000+).
• Effective ongoing in-person and written communication with donors.
• Supporting the President / CEO, Board members, and UWOV staff to effectively engage in individual donor cultivation and solicitation activities.
• Management and tracking of development activities through the use of the organizations database (Andar) producing regular progress reports to the President / CEO and Board.
• Working collaboratively to create customized solicitation strategies that match the objectives of the organization and interests of donor prospects.
• Executing funding plans for multi-year growth via foundation and corporate grant requests that meet UWOV’s strategic goals.
• Building relationships with external partners, including volunteers, to utilize them in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
• Serves as a representative of the UWOV by displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the United Way community and with the public.
• Safeguards all confidential information used in the performance of duties.
• Works closely with the President / CEO in developing and directing the implementation of long- and short-range plans for the purpose of meeting the organization’s marketing & communications goals.
• Develops an annual marketing and communications tactical plan, including public relations and social media marketing. Conceptualize and execute a comprehensive, multi-faceted donor and stakeholder plan that supports the organization’s strategies and objectives, builds relationships with key audiences, and works to position United Way as the leader in community impact.
• Works with the President / CEO in the implementation of marketing objectives to ensure effective and consistent communication messages.
• Oversees preparation, packaging and delivery of campaign supplies.
- Works with other internal departments to integrate marketing and communications strategies.
- Supervise and develop campaign records, reports and materials and assures that progress reports are distributed to volunteers.
- Analyze markets to identify areas of opportunity and community potential.
- Builds relationships and inspires investment.
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION:
• Manages Resource Development & Marketing Committee.
• Serves as a member of the management team.
• Develops and manages the department budget.
• Serves as project lead for UWOV fundraising events.
• Manages all Resource Development & Marketing related consultants and vendors.
• Creates staffing and volunteer structure that maximizes available resources.
• Provides department oversight of donor relations.
• Performs other essential functions as directed by the President / CEO.
• Works outside normal office hours when required to include evenings or weekends and additional hours during peak times.
• Represents UWOV at appropriate community events and in professional organizations.
• Maintains a safe working environment.
• Keeps the President / CEO informed of significant problems that jeopardize the achievement of objectives, and those which are not being addressed adequately.
• Attends all United Way staff meetings.
• Becomes familiar with and adheres to the policies and procedures described in the UWOV employee handbook.
• Attends all applicable United Way events and various community events to represent United Way within the community.
• Stays updated with United Way’s long-range goals, community investment activities, designation policies, and strategic plan.
• Effectively participates, interacts and communicates with all the various team members for the purpose of creating and supporting a team environment.
Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong background managing volunteer committees
- Strong understanding of moves management process and principals
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in fundraising with demonstrated results of increasing revenue.
- Team player with advanced organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to establish contacts, develop and grow relationships with various individuals, corporations, workplaces and donors.
- Ability to oversee and prioritize a wide variety of projects from inception to completion.
- Knowledge of technical, creative and grant-writing skills.
- Knowledge of fundraising processes and best practices.
- Ability to think strategically in terms of UWOV strengths within the community and opportunities that exist for new and improved programs.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to distill complex information into simple and compelling message for maximum clarity, understanding and impact.
- Skilled communicator that writes clearly and concisely; uses multiple platforms to reach diverse audiences; effective public speaker and presenter with the ability to give presentations to a wide variety of individuals.
PHYSICAL / OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Primarily works in climate controlled office-based setting. Position requires employee to commute to off-site location to complete business.
- The employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Personal automobile required with active driver’s license.
Competitive salary includes comprehensive benefits and retirement package.
Relocation Expenses: Negotiable
To apply: submit resume, three references and salary requirements to email@example.com
No phone calls please.