United Way is advancing the common good in Ventura County by providing help today in ways that strengthen tomorrow. United Way has the scope, expertise and influences to bring together human services agencies, government, businesses, private foundations and dedicated volunteers around a common vision of creating maximum impact and achieving long-lasting results. Why United Way? We all want to have the greatest possible impact on our community and the issues that we care about. Join the movement. Through United Way, you unite your hopes and strengths with others to accomplish more than any of us can alone.
The Director of Resource Development & Marketing will lead all activities and be prepared to advance United Way of Ventura County’s (UWVC) resource development efforts with aggressive annual growth. Working in close collaboration with the President and CEO and Board of Directors, the team member will develop organizational strategies to support the organization’s fundraising and marketing objectives and develop long-range and short-range plans to support those strategies. The Director of Resource Development & Marketing works closely with the President & CEO in managing UWVC’s marketing and communications programs in alignment with the mission and vision of the organization. Creates and implements organizational communications, ensuring a consistent brand experience. Plans and executes effective marketing and strategic communications initiatives and projects that build the United Way brand, strengthening relationships with key constituencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Designing and meeting aggressive annual and long-term fundraising goals.
- Developing a significant portfolio of major gift donors/prospects in collaboration with the President & CEO and managing the fundraising strategy for these donors with primary responsibility for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship (range: $10,000 to $50,000+).
- Effective ongoing in-person and written communication with donors.
- Supporting the President and CEO, Board members, and UWVC staff to effectively engage in individual donor cultivation and solicitation activities.
- Management and tracking of development activities through the use of the organization’s database (Andar) producing regular progress reports to the President & CEO and Board.
- Executing funding plans for multi-year growth via foundation and corporate grant requests that meet UWVC’s strategic goals.
- Building relationships with external partners, including volunteers, to utilize them in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Works closely with the President & CEO in developing and directing the implementation of long- and short-range plans for the purpose of meeting the organization’s marketing & communications goals.
- Works with other internal departments to integrate marketing and communications strategies.
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION:
- Supervises resource development staff.
- Manages Resource Development & Marketing Committee.
- Develops and manages the department budget.
- Serves as project lead for UWVC fundraising events.
- Manages all Resource Development & Marketing related consultants and vendors.
- Creates staffing and volunteer structure that maximizes available resources.
- Provides department oversight of donor relations.
- Performs other essential functions as directed by the President and CEO.
- Works outside normal office hours when required to include evenings or weekends and additional hours during peak times.
- Represents UWVC at appropriate community events and in professional organizations.
- Effectively participates, interacts and communicates with UWVC departments for the purpose of creating and supporting a team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. An advanced degree or relevant professional experience is desirable.
- Strong background managing volunteer committees.
- Strong understanding of moves management process and principles.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in fundraising with demonstrated results of increasing revenue.
- Supervisory experience with a track record of effectively leading teams and the ability to leverage strengths across program areas.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with ability to recruit, engage, lead, motivate, train, supervise and manage a diverse and high performing team.
- Effectively coaches and mentors employees and teams.
- Advanced writing and project management skills.
- Ability to oversee and prioritize a wide variety of projects from inception to completion.
- Knowledge of technical, creative, and grant-writing skills.
- Knowledge of fundraising processes and best practices.
- Ability to think strategically in terms of UWVC’s strengths within the community and opportunities that exist for new and improved programs.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to distill complex information into a simple and compelling message for maximum clarity, understanding and impact.
- Skilled communicator that writes clearly and concisely; uses multiple platforms to reach diverse audiences; effective public speaker and presenter with the ability to give presentations to a wide variety of individuals both internally at UWVC and externally within the community.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or moves up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
COMPENSATION: $75,000 to $85,000 per year DOE with generous benefits.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 28, 2022
Send Cover Letter, Resume, and list of three (3) references to:
United Way of Ventura County
702 County Square Drive, Suite 100
Ventura, CA 93003
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.