United Way of South Hampton Roads brings people & organizations together to solve problems too big for any of us to solve on our own.
Join us as Director of Resource Development
Do you approach fundraising like an entrepreneur? Are you a creative leader? Have a knack for creating engaging campaigns that make an impact when presented to potential donors?
We are seeking a Director of Resource Development to create and strategies that recruit, retain and grow the donor base; build and grow relationships and implement new and innovative revenue growth strategies.
The Director will leverage their significant fundraising experience to chart development strategy. This full time, exempt, benefitted position reports to the Chief Development Officer.
Core Job Responsibilities & Skills
50% Donor/Business Development
- Conduct face-to-face meetings with current individual donors and prospects in order to expand United Way’s influence and revenue
- Spend a minimum of 50% of time out of the office in order to engage with individual donors
- Develop and implement an individual donor engagement plan to recruit, retain and grow donors
- Lead and direct development staff and work with other departments to maintain superior donor relationships and meet measurable revenue goals
- Provide leadership and insight to the campaign cabinet and other volunteer leadership to maximize resource development activities and increase revenue
30% Strategic Planning
- Support the Chief Development Officer in the creation of annual operating plans, budgets and long-term Resource Development strategies and action steps to increase our relationships and revenue with corporate partners and individuals
- Manage the action steps and results for the Resource Development team. Track revenue generation throughout the year and provide monthly projections against goal, with a strong emphasis on understanding and accuracy of revenue projections
- Track Resource Development team’s, retention, visits, and key business activity throughout the year; provide regular activity status; and conduct the appropriate account analysis to build and refine business goals
- Gain market intelligence and develop corresponding strategies that lead to increased market penetration and improved forecasting accuracy
20% Direct and Manage Resource Development Team / Cross Functional Leadership
- Direct the implementation of annual work plans for individuals and team
- Motivate and inspire members of the Resource Development team to achieve or exceed goals by connecting their work to overall organizational goals and objectives
- Provide team member feedback about performance and behavior, and coach for improvement
- Train and direct the work of Campaign Managers (approx. 4 persons seasonally) as needed
- Develop Employee Campaign Leader (ECL) Training and enhance the ECL experience
- Liaison with Marketing Department to develop annual campaign materials (print, electronic, and audio-visual).
- Work with CRM System Manager to elevate the level of CRM use among Resource Development staff. Developing reports, SOPs, trainings, and executing enhancements as needed. Additionally maintaining accurate donor information, all external meetings and development dialogs, and all opportunities.
- Work with Finance Department to ensure pledge processing is timely and accurate.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Non Profit Administration or the equivalent
- Understand and demonstrate commitment to the vision, mission and direction of United Way of South Hampton Roads
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Possess proven fundraising/sales skills at the technical, managerial, relationship management and leadership levels
- Demonstrate effective supervisory, management and leadership competencies commensurate with the responsibilities of managing multiple staff functions
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Possess highly evolved presentation skills
- Develop relationships to drive resources and results through entrepreneurial and innovative thinking
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with CRM software
- Demonstrate ability to meet goals while managing the activities of staff
• Maintain confidentiality of employee records and financial data
• Maintain confidentiality of donor records
• Comply fully with corporation’s Code of Ethics
• Work as team member with staff and volunteers
• Maintain a professional appearance and attitude
Qualified, interested applicants send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be posted until filled.