THIS IS A REPOST. IF YOU PREVIOUSLY APPLIED, WE HAVE YOUR INFORMATION AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO REAPPLY.
The Director, Public Relations is a member of the United Way Worldwide (UWW) Communications team and plays a key role in amplifying United Way's mission and impact by leading the development and implementation of proactive media relations strategies for local, national and global storytelling. This individual is a talented strategist, storyteller and relationship-builder who will leverage their skills to increase awareness of, support for and engagement with United Way.
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, this person will partner with cross-functional teams including global brand marketing, social media, digital, events, development and advancement to help drive UWW's mission to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities around the world.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be collaborative and able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Lead strategic planning and execution of integrated promotional efforts of communications, media, PR, and events
- Lead the creation and implementation of earned media activity to achieve goals
- Develop and successfully activate local, national and international media relationships to generate awareness and support for United Way's work and global impact
- Develop and manage the communications calendar
- Create and manage a thought leadership strategy
- Oversee reporting, performance data, and analytics to measure PR ROI
- Manage relationships with external agencies.
- Track trend and evaluate market research to inform the development of strategic recommendations, action plans and campaigns
- Create and manage UWW's crisis communication plan
- Partner with cross-functional teams on initiatives and campaigns to advance organizational positioning, donor engagement and fundraising goals
- Manage and develop staff
- Periodic travel may be required
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum requirements include:
- Minimum requirements include a Bachelor's degree plus a minimum of ten years of prior relevant work experience; it is critical that this person is both a talented storyteller and a relationship-builder
- Proven ability and experience in both the strategic development and tactical execution of plans, campaigns, etc.
- Demonstrated experience successfully pitching and placing stories (i.e., earned media, TV, print, web, social).
- Established relationships with press, influencers and thought leaders
- Strong understanding of social media and ability to collaborate with Social Media team
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills are mandatory
- Comfortable working with, advising and supporting senior leaders
- Experience in managing and developing direct reports
- Solution-oriented, strategic thinker and communicator
- Relationship builder and collaborator
- International experience a plus
- Journalist or newsroom background a plus
Note: Candidates will be required to provide communications credentials.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted. Thank you.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
We have established a salary range of $125,000 to $145,000 for this position. Specific pay is determined by your experience in that range. Highly recommend applicants include salary requirements when completing application.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail Jennifer.Chavez@uww,unitedway.org or call 703-683-7874 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more. Most benefits begin on the first day of the month following your start date.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.