United Way Worldwide is the world’s largest privately funded nonprofit. Our global mission is to improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of communities to advance the common good. United Way envisions a world in which all individuals and families develop and achieve their full potential through education, income stability, and healthy living. United Way employees possess the passion, expertise, and resources required to make great things happen–we invite you to be a part of the change–to Live United.
As the Director, Public Relations you will design and execute public and media relations efforts for all of United Way Worldwide’s (UWW) B2B and B2C audiences across nearly 1,800 communities in more than 40 countries worldwide. You will report to the Vice President, Communications and will develop and implement a broad range of communications, public relations, and media relations activities in support of UWW’s mission, vision, values and priorities.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Develop and implement a public relations strategy that increases brand awareness, clarifies brand experience and personalizes what United Way means to communities around the world through various events, engagements, interviews, op-eds and public facing opportunities.
- Brainstorm, pitch and secure proactive media opportunities, op-ed placements, influencer meetings and events through traditional and digital channels.
- Issue an annual public relations plan that details the strategy, tactics, messages, channels, outcomes and measurements to achieve organizational success.
- Serve as the chief public relations advisor to United Ways throughout the world in need of crisis communication, media training, media placement or overall, proactive and reactive strategic guidance.
- Field incoming media inquiries, develop media contacts in print, television, radio and other industry and community influencers important to United Way’s mission.
- Create partnerships with other public relations professionals throughout the United Way network to ensure we are speaking with one voice, leveraging the best ideas and lifting up compelling stories across the enterprise.
- Author and lead the design of press materials, including media kits, op-eds, holding statements, talking points, executive media interview briefs, news releases, website content and fact sheets on organizational programs, initiatives and key messages.
- Facilitate and staff media interviews with appropriate staff persons and prepare appropriate briefing materials.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson.
- Supervise and team with the Manager, Public Relations, as well as manage the relationship with several external vendors (PR agency and news tracking services) to maximize the value of effectiveness of our internal staff and external partners.
- Serve as a highly positive and collaborative partner with colleagues throughout the organization and enterprise.
- Work collaboratively to develop public relations strategies to promote key initiatives such as the United Way – NFL Partnership, as well as other key developing initiatives.
- Coordinate with the Digital Marketing Team (e.g., social media) to ensure consistency of proactive digital and press outreach.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum requirements include a Bachelor's degree, and 10+ years of prior relevant work experience.
Requires superior writing and editing skills with a demonstrated ability to write for multi-media. Adept at taking creative approaches to sourcing, identifying, and creating compelling earned national and global narratives that get covered by traditional and digital media. Outstanding interpersonal, relationship building and coaching skills both within and outside the organization. Proven success at leveraging digital as well as traditional media. Possess a balanced leadership skillset of being able to articulate and execute clear strategies and tactics with having the flexibility to adjust and pivot when circumstances dictate. Demonstrated success working with global PR firms and other PR-related vendors. Experience in creative collaboration as a member of a creative team is a plus. Excellent project management skills. Must be able to think, plan, lead, do, innovate, and pivot.
Candidates will be required to provide public relations credentials – samples of three best pieces of work as well as active contacts in traditional and digital channels.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are enthusiastic about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please call 703-836-7100 ext. 428, and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA; minutes from downtown Washington, DC. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: free parking and onsite gym; health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) retirement plan; tuition assistance; paid time off; medical appointment leave; family sick leave; employee assistance program; monthly volunteer opportunities, and more.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. Please apply via the online system. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.