The Director, Product Strategy is responsible for ensuring the consistent application and continual improvement of United Way Worldwide’s (“UWW”) product development and implementation processes to scale value-add products for global adoption by the United Way Network (“Network”). Products developed primarily support the following organizational priorities:
- Transformation Campaign for the Modern United Way. Products fund the transformation of the Network to a Modern United Way. The Network is restructuring to become a more integrated and distributed operating network through shared services, which includes the development of products that provides local United Ways with exceptional solutions to meet the needs of its donor and community partners.
- Shared Purpose. As our approach to support the success of purpose-driven companies, Shared Purpose products co-create value with our corporate partners to maximize community impact and their return on investment. Products are packaged to meet customer needs, delivering greater value, and establishing UWW as a trusted philanthropic advisor.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION:
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Process Management. You will lead management of all tools, templates, and guidelines for the UWW product development process, with specific focus on continual quality improvement based on implementation evaluation and industry trends. These tools and templates are the foundation for building products able to be adopted at scale across the Network and deliver value to donor and community partners.
- Product Development. Each member of the Product Strategy Team manages the development and implementation of a portfolio of products from product concept and vetting to the product development process, piloting, and global scaling. Development and implementation of products includes, but is not limited to, the creation and/or management of such activities as:
- Product Specs: Product briefs, true cost estimates, and adoption projections.
- Discovery: Customer need research, competitor analysis, and prospecting.
- Sales and Contracting: Sales and marketing-communications plans and collateral, pricing, sales tracking, and contracting.
- Implementation Support: Service quality standards, training.
- Evaluation: KPI development, reporting, and lifecycle evaluation.
- Cross-functional Team Management. You will lead a standing UWW Product Committee consisting of cross-functional senior leaders. The Committee’s responsibilities include assessment of product value, product pricing, and evergreen evaluation. You will also be the product manager on cross-functional teams for implementation of your assigned product portfolio. Finally, you will attend briefings by other key departments to be aware of their work and how it affects the Product Strategy Team.
- Training and Awareness. We are servant leaders to the Network, as well as consultants to donors and our external-facing account management teams. As a product subject matter expert, you will drive awareness of available products, provide feedback and guidance on product concepts, as well as counseling on how to use and sell available products. You may lead product demos and strategic sessions around our product development discipline on webinars, at conferences, or through other channels. You must feel comfortable presenting in front of small-to-large groups of people.
- Project Management. There will be a range of project-related activities, including, but not limited to internal reporting, maintaining and communicating product inventory, and business process improvement initiatives.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA or equivalent a plus.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in a global or national enterprise environment in relevant roles such as Fundraising, CSR Management, Foundation Management, Product Development and/or Marketing, Sales Productivity, Corporate Learning/Training, Sales or Sales Management, with a minimum of three years in a leadership role.
- Strong understanding of business process development and continual process improvement.
- Demonstrated experience in stakeholder management, project management, product development, problem solving, and cross-functional leadership.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and scaling products designed to address documented customer need.
- Comfortable working through ambiguity and quickly changing priorities.
- Excellent research, writing/editing, analytical, communication, and public speaking skills, including the ability to collect, review, synthesize, and present information and findings.
- Project management or other relevant certifications a plus.
- Experience with virtual or technology products a plus.
- Experience producing and hosting educational events, driving product adoption, and measuring impact of product enablement programs.
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively communicate ideas and influence all levels of the organization.
- 10% travel is expected.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE:
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-836-7100, ext. 324 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE:
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity and inclusion for every person in every community.
Approved by the United Way U.S.A. Board of Trustees on March 6, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in employment with United Way Worldwide. You will be contacted if your qualifications are a good match and you are selected for an interview.