About United Way of Thunder Bay
United Way of Thunder Bay is a local organization that focuses collective efforts on issues of poverty in our community. We do this in many ways, including inspiring individuals and businesses to get involved, supporting community initiatives that tackle the root causes of poverty and its impacts on local people, working with partners to find new solutions, and by investing resources where and when they are needed most.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
As a senior management team member and reporting to the CEO, the Director of Philanthropy and Community Engagement is responsible for the strategic development and implementation of United Way of Thunder Bay’s fundraising and initiatives for major gifts, legacy giving and the annual fundraising campaign. This position works closely with the Communications and Marketing Firm and the CEO to plan and execute eﬀective public relations, strategic communications and projects that build the United Way brand and strengthen relationships with key partners/constituents.As a senior management team member and reporting to the CEO, the Director of Philanthropy and Community Engagement is responsible for the strategic development and implementation of United Way of Thunder Bay’s fundraising and initiatives for major gifts, legacy giving and the annual fundraising campaign. This position works closely with the Communications and Marketing Firm and the CEO to plan and execute eﬀective public relations, strategic communications and projects that build the United Way brand and strengthen relationships with key partners/constituents.
Skill Requirements: The ideal candidate will have a background in fundraising, special events, marketing, and communications, as well as experience in the voluntary/not-for-proﬁt sector.
Key duties and responsibilities will include:
• Work with CEO on the creation of a Resource Development Plan, aligned with the organizational strategy.
• Work with CEO, staﬀ and volunteers to prepare long term plans for fundraising by setting objectives and directions for the success of the campaign, designing, analysing, and revising the campaign structure if necessary to ensure ongoing eﬀectiveness and taking into consideration past campaign data, general business, economic, demographic, and social trends to achieve best resource development results.
• Develop and implement stewardship programs aimed at building deeper relationships with donors.
• Provide strong leadership and direction to maintain and grow major gift fundraising and the annual campaign.
• Collaborate with the Community Impact team to align donor interests with Community Impact strategies, products, and opportunities.
• Collaborate with Campaign Team to ensure the CRM database and its components are implemented to meet fundraising, community engagement and volunteer management needs.
• Assure the recruitment, training, and motivation of all volunteers and staﬀ within the fundraising campaign.
• Lead and liaise with the CEO and the Communications and Marketing ﬁrm to secure advertising contracts via local media and in developing a campaign marketing plan, to design promotional material, and social media messaging for the campaign and community impact areas.
• Create and oversee the preparation and circulation of communications with volunteers and other staﬀ regarding the campaign including all reports, training sessions, and other important internal communications.
• Oversee activities and evaluate Resource Development Staﬀ.
• Provide guidance and support for interns, students and volunteers as required.
• Work with CEO and Finance Team in developing the campaign budget.
• Update skills regularly to enhance knowledge of resource development best practices.
• Acquire, maintain knowledge and use of the information management software system to fulﬁl responsibilities of position.
• Candidate must be 18 years of age or older and legally eligible to work in Canada.
• Post secondary education in a related ﬁeld and/or appropriate relevant experience is preferred.
• Advanced level knowledge of computerized systems and knowledge of working with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software is an asset.
• A valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle are required.
• Candidate must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 upon acceptance of employment.
• Candidate must provide clear criminal records check upon acceptance of employment.
The United Way of Thunder Bay is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from all individuals, including Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minority groups and women.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.