United Way of El Paso County is committed to improving the lives and futures of all people in the community. We bring together expertise, funding and volunteer support to positively impact education, health, basic needs, and financial stability. In partnership with others, we work to eliminate inequities experienced by diverse populations so that all people have a safe, healthy home environment, achieve their educational potential, and increase their financial stability. We commit to building bridges across cultural, racial, religious, and economic boundaries.
Position: Director of Philanthropy
Reports to: Vice President of Philanthropy and Engagement
Purpose: The Director of Philanthropy supports the mission of United Way of El Paso County (UWEPC) by executing a strategic vision and forging collaborative relationships; creating compelling segmented messages that will define our United Way as an organization that responds to our community's needs, transforms lives and brings long-lasting systemic change by focusing on the underlying issues.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Philanthropy will have primary responsibility to achieve established monetary and audit goals according to established timeline. The Director will grow revenue through workplace/employee, corporate, and individual giving; corporate engagement, including affinity groups and development services and sponsorships. The Director will expand and diversify donor base/pipeline and work closely with other team members to secure funding for current and emerging needs/initiatives.
Provide day-to-day management of staff and volunteers:
- Prospect management: Gather and utilize data in making requests for donations and other types of contributions. Connect prospective individual donors to United Way’s work. Connect prospective corporate donor areas of interest or Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to United Way’s work. Inspire commitment and support for United Way.
- Effective selling: Employ consultative selling techniques to match donor interests and community aspirations to United Way products/solutions. Measure and track donor and employee campaign volunteer satisfaction.
- Create win/win relationships: Understand United Way and donor objectives and where they intersect. Identify tangible outcomes that benefit both parties; Identify strategies and opportunities to build trust. Engage with donors year-round to nurture and enhance relationships.
- Steward donors: Recognize the power of effective stewardship (thanking donors, informing them about the impact of their gifts, keeping them apprised of progress on the community work it is intended to address and deepening the relationship) and develops and implements plans to steward donors of all giving levels.
Workplace/Employee/Corporate Giving – 40%
Plan and execute workplace/employee/corporate campaigns.
- Maintain close, positive relationships with the key accounts in assigned portfolio throughout the year, including planning and oversight of the accounts’ annual United Way campaign – focusing on building and maintaining effective relationships.
- Drive the strategy and execution around reimaging corporate partnerships and how to engage employees through workplace campaigns, and as individuals to support the work of United Way.
- Conduct presentations to employees, key executives, and other special interest groups.
- Conduct ongoing follow-up with workplace giving campaign coordinators to ensure effective close-out of campaigns.
- Oversee Combined Campaigns, working closely with City, County and State officials to ensure proper protocols are followed.
Grant Writing – 10%
Responsible for upkeep of grant tracker, grant research, and coordination of grant-related meetings to ensure all staff understand their roles in the application process. Will serve as lead for a portion of United Way grant applications ensuring full organizational integration, including support from other senior staff and/or contract grant writers.
Donor Relations – 20%
Oversee and supervise staff/volunteers responsible for donor relations and engagement. Annual development and management of strategies for:
- Donor networks, including Leadership Society, Emerging Leaders, Young Leaders Society, RISE, Small Business Big Impact and other networks.
- Volunteer engagement, including corporate engagement.
Donor Data Management – 30%
- Responsible for CRM upkeep and implementation, UWEPC currently uses CRM Lite software.
- Enter opportunities for daily money, ensuring United Way Worldwide standards are taken into consideration.
- Responsible for overseeing data entry for workplace giving campaigns and DB1/DB2 reports for United Way Worldwide
- Create tracking system for all donor recognition, including thank-you letters and e-mails
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Assist in building and implementing a strategic focus for UWEPC initiatives in the priority area of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI).
- Provide leadership, guidance and oversight to all UWEPC efforts in DEI including advocacy, partnerships, capacity building and outreach.
- Serve as the main point of contact for United Way of El Paso County (UWEPC) on topics related to DEI and community equity. Strengthen local partnerships through ongoing engagement as well as effective communication and information-sharing.
Staff Leadership and Management
- Recruit, supervise, and manage qualified and dedicated staff within UWEPC efforts of community resiliency and DEI.
- Plan and coordinate ongoing professional development and appropriate skills training for staff on pertinent topics.
- Lead and guide team members in strategically developing and building awareness of services related to addressing community needs.
- Supervise and manage staff workloads and performance plans.
- Provide strategic focus for the team, including encouraging collaboration between initiatives and partners.
- Maintain working knowledge of all UWEPC programs, engagement and initiatives to serve as a strong representative and advocate for the organization.
- Seek and maintain strong community partnerships with local service providers and potential supporters.
- Cultivate a strong collaborative of response and engagement by convening partners to assess community needs and strategically provide services in collaboration with partners.
- Participate in recurring program and strategic meetings to assist in shaping the vision of UWEPC Community Impact products and partnerships.
- Advocate for UWEPC Community Impact products with community partners and stakeholders. Research new programs and services that may be relevant to the mission and values of UWEPC.
- Develop and cultivate successful business/personal relationships with key employees and CEO, including elected officials and key County and City staff.
- Facilitate relationships with partners for direct services and programming to clients including MOUs, reporting, and information-sharing.
CROSS FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work effectively with other teams at United Way to provide appropriate support and value to partners. Leverage relationships to create additional opportunities with other organizations and individuals.
- Foster creative thinking and facilitate future partnerships within corporate accounts.
- Attend key community events and activities as a way to promote United Way of El Paso County’s mission, vision and core values becoming a defined community ambassador for United Way.
- Cultivate community support for United Way by maintaining contacts with local organizations, businesses and individuals.
SKILLS AND COMPENTENCIES:
- Strong analytical skills using data to support decisions.
- Experience working in collaborative environments and cross functionally to achieve goals.
- Strong project management, process improvement, or other applicable experience.
- Problem-solver and self-starter who initiates solutions; collaborates and negotiates effectively with team members, partners, and stakeholders. Strong ability to distill and communicate complex issues and concepts to others.
- Personal attributes of honesty, integrity, professional behavior, tact, sense of urgency, and sense of humor.
Advanced knowledge of MS Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel), Intermediate knowledge of CRM software and data entry best practices, Intermediate knowledge of social media and website management platforms i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Wix; Intermediate knowledge of virtual meeting platforms i.e. Zoom, GoTo Meeting, FaceBook Live, Microsoft Teams.
- Equity Mindset
- Network Mindset
- Learning Mindset
- Think Strategically
Applies appropriate strategic logic to decisions and initiatives. Identifies efforts that will have the greatest strategic impact.
- Promote Collaboration
Fosters a sense of teamwork, leverages differences, and facilitates the effective interaction and contribution of others to achieve goals.
- Engage and Inspire
Articulates and inspires commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals.
- Inspire Trust
Gains the confidence and trust of others through principled leadership and sound business ethics.
Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an environment that supports innovation.
- Focus on Community
Ensures the delivery of exceptional service and value to the communities we serve.
Core Competencies for all UWEPC Staff
- Mission Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to the mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before processes and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement
- Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good: creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Behaviors reflect a belief that individuals from diverse backgrounds lead to a more successful organization.
- Educates oneself about DEI issues within the organization and community.
- Demonstrates a willingness to become aware of and address one’s own implicit biases.
- Deliberately works to include individuals from underrepresented backgrounds in efforts both internally and externally as appropriate.
- Identifies and integrates the tools and resources needed to create more equitable environments.
Qualifications--Knowledge, Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in subjects related to health and human services, non-profit or organizational management, public relations, communications, marketing, or social services, plus seven (7) years of work experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience related to the duties of the position. Master’s degree in Public Administration, Health & Human Services, Communications, or Business Administration preferred.
Knowledge of the non-profit and social services sector is essential. Preference will be given to individuals who can demonstrate knowledge of CRM software and data entry. Skills in grant-writing, grant management, personnel management, program development and operation, leadership, strategic planning, management of sub-contractors and partnerships, and volunteer engagement are desired.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of early morning, evening, and weekend work.
Valid driver’s license, insurance and vehicle required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Classification Salary: $50,000 - $60,000
This is a full time exempt position with competitive Benefits (Health, Dental, Life Insurance and Retirement Contributions)