United Way of the Lowcountry
Job Title: Director of Philanthropy
Reports To: President / CEO
Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Pay Range: Negotiable
Location: Beaufort and Jasper Counties, SC
Direct Reports: 2 - 4
The United Way of the Lowcountry is searching for a Director of Philanthropy who will lead our team of Philanthropy Specialists in all aspects of fundraising in the beautiful coastal communities of Beaufort and Jasper counties, including the communities of Hardeeville, Beaufort, Bluffton, and Hilton Head.
The Director will provide strategic leadership in the planning and management of all philanthropy related functions of the organization including annual campaign, major gifts/ Alexis de Tocqueville Society, planned giving, endowment, and various grants.
The position will be responsible for developing and maintaining a high functioning fundraising team through coaching, developing, mentoring, and motivating. This position will build expertise and create a depth of knowledge about key issues in philanthropy, as well as build relationships with a variety of community stakeholders.
Additionally, the Director of Philanthropy will be responsible for the development of annual and multi-year departmental goals and objectives, in concert with the overall goals of the agency set by the volunteer leadership and the President/CEO.
Position requires self-initiative and minimal supervision while working collaboratively with volunteers and staff.
Team Leadership, Management and Support: 35%
- Create and execute a multi-faceted vision and plan for increased philanthropic efforts with the President/CEO
- Provide overall support and management to the Philanthropy Team which includes analyzing and planning annual efforts, and reviewing staffing needs
- Develop and manage a series of detailed revenue projections and the program budget and oversee campaign expenditures
- Analyze data, identify strengths, weaknesses and opportunities to improve results
- Maintain and improve the following internal office processes:
- gift and pledge processing
- thank you process
- acknowledgement process
- budget and expenditures reporting
- Research, recommend and apply best practices
- Work closely with Marketing to develop philanthropy messaging and collateral materials
- Research appropriate grant opportunities necessary to achieve goals of the organization, including coordination of information and writing grants
- Represent the United Way of the Lowcountry at events inside and outside of normal business hours
Territory Management: 60%
- Develop, prepare, and retain campaign volunteers, including but not limited to cabinet members, committee members, employee campaign coordinators, agency representatives and loaned executives
- Determine and consistently analyze separation of territories
- Determine annual giving goals for territory and implement and execute strategic and tactical plans for achieving these goals
- Meet assigned annual revenue goals and continually seek additional sources of revenue for the organization
- Meet annual goals for personal contact with donors and prospects, with a strong emphasis on face-to-face meetings, but also includes phone, e-mail, and other unique donor touches
- Develop highly personalized donor communications including proposals, stewardship reports, general program updates, etc.
- Work closely with deTocqueville Committee and Campaign Cabinet to qualify high potential donors for further cultivation
- Identify and qualify special fundraising events and initiatives
- Responsible for data entry of specific donor information to build donor profiles
- Develop and implement plan for substantially increasing planned giving and endowment donors
Other Activities in support of United Way of the Lowcountry: 5%
- Performs other related duties or special assignments in support of United Way of the Lowcountry as requested
Work is carried out in a controlled, agreeable environment as generally represented by normal office conditions. It may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. The employee is in a non-confined office-type setting in which he or she is free to move about at will. In addition, the employee will travel via personal vehicle or public transportation to client sites, workplace events, etc.
In the course of performing this work, the employee:
- Will spend substantial time standing, sitting, speaking and listening.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Equipment and Software Operation:
The incumbent in this position may operate any/all of the following equipment:
- Telephone, cell phone, scanner, and fax machine
- Computer, printer and related equipment
- Copy machine, Calculator
- Audio-visual equipment
- Personal automobile
- Microsoft Office
- Internet Explorer
- Donor Database and/or Customer Relationship Management System
- Bachelor's Degree in related field, i.e. philanthropy, finance, accounting, marketing, non profit management
- At least five years' experience in related field, preferably in a non-profit organization
- Required to analyze numbers and have knowledge of forecasting with ability to draw conclusions and report on those conclusions
- Must have exceptional written and oral communication skills, and presentation skills
- Ability to manage multi-level projects and priorities
- Ability to work both independently and in groups using good judgment and discretion
- Superior interpersonal skills required
- Strong donor database management and analytical skills required
- Leadership and project management skills necessary to bring about change and adapt to increasing or changing functional requirements
- Team leader and a good team player, energetic with positive attitude required
- Valid South Carolina driver's license, proof of auto insurance coverage, daily access to a personal vehicle
- Ability to work hours outside of 8:30 am - 5:00 pm workday and to work occasional weekends and weekly evening events
- Professional demeanor and appearance required, choosing the correct attire to represent the United Way of the Lowcountry, Inc. in conservative environments where professional appearance and dress is mandatory
- Donor information is confidential, and you are required to maintain that confidentiality at all times
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job