Why Work for United Way
Do you want to leave work every day knowing that you made an impact? At United Way of South Hampton Roads (UWSHR), you’ll work in a fun and supportive environment where every day is a new opportunity to make a difference. If you talk to our employees, the single trait we all have in common is passion. We work hard because we love what we do and we know how much our community needs us. Plus, we offer excellent benefits and opportunities for advancement. If you want to be great while doing good, join the United Way team.
Objectives & Expectations
This position oversees United Way’s collective impact initiative, Mission United, that engages over 50 community partners to support our region’s military-connected individuals on customized journeys to self-sufficiency. Mission United’s extensive network of service providers connect clients to affordable housing, job training, health care and other resources through an online care-coordination software. Mission United’s network of partners also provide intensive coaching and case management to help clients achieve their goals for self-sufficiency. Of the over 400,000 military-connected people living in Hampton Roads, Mission United’s target population includes: active-duty service members (including the Reserves and National Guard), military retirees, military spouses and dependents, caregivers and veterans. It is the role of the Director of Mission United to spearhead the engagement of diverse stakeholder groups that guide vision and strategy, support aligned activities and shared measurements, build public will and community engagement, advance policy, and mobilize funding to support initiative goals and objectives.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Lead and coordinate Mission United committees, workgroups, volunteers and activities
- Work with our partners to establish and implement Mission United’s strategies for achieving community-level results
- Leverage and grow resources and our network of service providers
- Establish and maintain a data management infrastructure that collects, manages, and reports on Mission United data effectively
- Facilitate the identification of core measurable outcomes for each committee and workgroup, mutually reinforcing activities, and develop a system for collaboration and communication to advance Mission United’s shared agenda
- Oversee Mission United direct investments and leverage community resources ensuring that organizational resources are used to their maximum potential
- Develop, in partnership with Mission United committees and United Way staff, and monitor a five-year Mission United resource investment plan that includes the implementation of new grant processes that are integrated with other funding processes in the organization
- Support sustainable, continuous quality improvement practices
- Engage United Way staff and volunteers to achieve goals related to Mission United programming, funding, fundraising and communications
- Oversee Mission United call center and staff
- Other duties as assigned
Key Skills Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required; Master’s Degree preferred
- 5-10 years relevant experience; prior military service preferred; seeking candidates with strategic planning, program development, and evaluation competencies
- Familiarity with asset-based approaches to community development, volunteerism, and corporate philanthropy
- Demonstrated experience with group facilitation and working with and managing staff and/or volunteers to plan and implement community-based initiatives with specific deliverables and demonstrable outcomes. This includes an ability to inspire, organize, convene, and lead groups, build consensus, and collaborate with diverse stakeholders
- Project management skills with the ability to problem-solve, prioritize, delegate, and create systems and processes
- Experience in collective impact and working with military-connected communities and service organizations, with the ability to build and sustain productive relationships with diverse individuals, groups, organizations, and communities
- Excellent analytical ability and superior problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, listening, writing, and facilitation skills
- Ability to take concepts from initiation to completion with minimal supervision
- Microsoft Office skills and experience required
- Commitment to excellence and the mission of United Way
- Guide vision and strategy: Challenges defined, goals established and priorities identified. Partners share a common understanding of the desired result and align to support the common agenda
- Establish shared measurement practices: Evaluation and assessment plan established and partners increasingly use data to adapt and refine strategies
- Build public will: More community members feel empowered to take action on Mission United’s priority areas and activities
- Track and communicate results: Changes tracked using a results-based accountability framework
- Demonstrate integrity by being accountable for actions, keeping commitments, and speaking honestly and truthfully with others
- Demonstrate an enthusiasm for professional development acquiring new skills and knowledge to enhance role
- Demonstrate a commitment to individual and team-based assignments
- Demonstrate quality assurance by producing accurate and thorough work
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in dealing with others
- Demonstrate valuing the diversity of others’ opinions and experiences
- Demonstrate sound reasoning and good common sense
Interested? Please send your resume to email@example.com. We will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.