Why Work for United Way:
Do you want to leave work every day knowing that you made an impact? At United Way of South Hampton Roads, you’ll work in a fun and supportive environment where every day is a new opportunity to make a difference. If you talk to our employees, the single trait we all have in common is passion. We work hard because we love what we do and we know how much our community needs us. You’ll learn from some of the best in the business and be constantly challenged in an ever-changing industry. Plus, we offer excellent benefits and opportunities for advancement. If you want to be great while doing good, join the United Way team.
If you are motivated, hard-working and passionate, United Way may be the perfect place for you. Successful candidates will have marketing, and people and project management experience as well as a positive, problem-solving attitude that doesn’t crack under pressure. You must be able to communicate effectively with your team, manage details with ease, and provide excellent internal and external customer service.
Objectives & Expectations:
The Director of Marketing & Events is responsible for helping to advance the brand and positively position United Way as a philanthropic leader and trusted partner in the community. The successful candidate should have an intimate understanding of how marketing campaigns work, know how to run successful events, have experience managing staff and be prepared to hit the ground running. The Director of Marketing & Events will increase the awareness and visibility of UWSHR among the public, donors and volunteers through strategic execution of marketing plans, events and the development of compelling content for advertising, awareness and engagement purposes. This position will provide creative input; help create and implement a company-wide integrated marketing plan; lead staff to ensure consistent messaging and uniformity of presentation; execute a wide variety of events; measure results and make adjustments for continuous improvement.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Provide excellent customer service to the leadership society staff and committees that exceeds expectations and increases collaboration
- Work with the team to strategize and implement techniques to generate leads and engage new donors through online strategies
- Create compelling marketing and event emails to support the overall UWSHR marketing strategy
- Capture monthly analytics to analyze KPIs and work with team to adapt strategy to ensure progress against goals
- Simplify and distill complex information to provide clear, crisp, influential and factual messaging that aligns with business objectives and project strategy
- Work with Marketing, Resource Development and Community Engagement and Investment teams to foster a storytelling culture to engage donors, volunteers and community partners
- Regularly produce purposeful, engaging content
- Work with marketing contacts at major accounts to align our content with their communication strategy and find opportunities to share United Way’s work with their employees
- Develop content for and actively engage on the UWSHR social media channels
- Lead the production of events ranging in scale from intimate happy hours to large-scale luncheons including coordinating with partners and vendors, programming and content, marketing collateral, flawless execution day of event, and post-event analysis and reporting
- Work with leadership society staff to develop an annual event calendar
- Support the Resource Development team in successfully planning and executing leadership society and campaign events
- Operate with little oversight while keeping the Vice President apprised of workflow
- Attend UWSHR and local community events, where applicable
- Work simultaneously on multiple projects and expertly manage multiple deadlines
- Collaborate across departments to bring projects to timely completion
- Proof and review materials
- Work with vendors to order materials, track delivery and process invoices
- Other duties as assigned
- Execute engaging events that receive a 4 or 5 (out of 5) satisfaction score on post-event surveys 70% of the time
- Create at least one (1) piece of content (story, video, article, etc.) related to leadership societies, corporate accounts, events or donors per quarter
- Identify and engage marketing contacts at all chairman accounts and share content updates at least quarterly
- Work with the team to increase residential giving year over year
- Help conduct at least one (1) lead generation and online giving campaign per year
Key Skills Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, marketing or related discipline, or experience equivalent
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in marketing and digital communications, including at least 2 years managing staff
- Event planning, volunteer coordination and/or project management experience (required)
- Social media experience (preferred)
- Demonstrate ability to work cross functionally as part of a team to accomplish individual and mutually defined goals within specified timeframes
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal relationship skills with the ability to take complex concepts and boil them down to compelling statements
- Analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Must be organized and task oriented to ensure deadlines are met
- Self-starter with the ability to work with minimum supervision
- Exceptional attention to detail to produce consistently error-free work
- High level of professionalism
- Strong listening skills and ability to see new opportunities or broader implications
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite
- Experience working with content management, website maintenance, email marketing and customer relationships management platforms
- Experience in photography and/or videography is a plus
Typical office environment with some time spent in outside meetings. Nights and weekends may be required for special events or meetings.
- This job may require exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects
- Worker must frequently talk, hear and use typical office equipment
- Worker sits most of the time; routinely required to walk and occasionally travel by car
- Ability to provide personal transportation
- Ability to operate a computer for extended periods
Interested? Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.