When uploading your job description, be sure to include the following areas:
United Way of Central Virginia is a 501c3 non-profit organization that is working to advance Education, Income, Health and Basic Needs in our community by supporting programs, services, and collaborations. We are improving opportunities for our youth to succeed in school. We work to stabilize families through programs that reduce hunger, improve housing stability and reduce domestic violence. We are improving health care accessibility for individuals of all ages to improve health and wellness.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Marketing & Communications is an integral part of the overall operation of United Way of Central Virginia and is a critical driver of the organization’s brand strategy. The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Strong written and public speaking skills and the ability to effectively use communications to advance the organization’s brand strategy.
- Ability to work independently with a high level of initiative.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders.
- Able to be resourceful and creative in an environment with limited resources.
- A genuine desire to support the mission of the United Way of Central Virginia and to help those in need.
- Familiarity with the Central Virginia market a plus, but not required.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manages the organization’s brand and ensures that it is expressed in all our communication channels including advertising, promotions, presentations, digital media and community relationships.
- Maintains positive relationships with regional media outlets to ensure favorable placement of messaging as needed.
- Serve as a spokesperson for United Way, including representing organization in the community at public events, media engagements, on boards and committees, as needed.
- Responsible for all aspects of organizational and campaign print materials.
- Develops and maintains written material for web site, social media, press releases, print ads, articles and other channels and creates marketing materials to support the organization’s strategies.
- Leads the development of videos for advertising and social media channels.
- Special Events:
- Plans and manages all United Way events, including creating new events to further United Way’s community impact mission.
- Recruits volunteers to support events.
- Develops marketing materials and promotions for events.
- Manages the event budget and maintains monthly revenue reports.
Undergraduate degree in marketing, communications or related field strongly preferred.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.