Job Title: Director of Marketing and Leadership Giving
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
Exempt or Non-exempt: Non-exempt
UWVP Success Equation
Convene & Collaborate + Invest & Resource + Advocate & Educate
Overall Purpose of this Role:
The Director of Marketing and Leadership Giving serves a vital role internally and across the Virginia peninsula community helping to lead our “one team” model. This position leads efforts with United Way of the Virginia Peninsula’s staff, volunteers, and corporate partners, to successfully plan and implement giving and engagement campaigns. This Director’s position leads, equips, and supports United Way representatives and spokespersons in delivering the United Way message and conveying the needs of the community to encourage individual contributions, advocacy, and community involvement. By developing and deepening relationships with key community partners and through servant leadership, our Director of Marketing and Leadership Giving raises resources to advance United Way’s mission of ending poverty in our community.
- Models kindness with internal and external customers, upholding United Way’s commitment to equity and unity.
- Manages multiple projects and functions while leading team efforts to meet deadlines and ensure efficient and quality performance.
- Develops strategies and plans of execution that yield impactful results and that strengthen UWVP’s role in the community
- Develops and nurtures strategic relationships with key community donors and volunteers, providing the highest standards of customer service and professionalism
- Creates engaging materials to communicate with diverse audiences across various mediums and platforms, educating others about United Way of the Virginia Peninsula.
- Understands and consistently practices responsiveness and accountability to all customers.
- Adapts to changing priorities.
- Oversees and executes the entry and overall management of organizational and individual contact information, giving history, and other related data. Ensures that relevant information is captured, accessible, and available to appropriate staff in building and growing community relationships. Utilizes this information to measure organizational and staff performance and engage key stakeholders in investing and participating in UWVP fundraising and impact efforts.
- Oversees and executes the creation and publicity of content to be shared on appropriate social media platforms. Acknowledges awareness and targeted giving occasions. Uses social media as a means to advocate and encourage community participation in fundraising and impact.
- Oversees and facilitates appreciation to donors, volunteers, and other supporters. Utilizes various means to express gratitude. Develops regularly scheduled, as well as unique and creative ways to say thank you to the community.
- Assists Executive leadership in facilitating the development of the Annual Campaign Cabinet. Provides key updates, performance metrics, and other relevant information to guide the work of the cabinet. Helps equip Cabinet members to serve as ambassadors for UWVP’s fundraising and impact activities.
- Oversee and execute strategies that engage individual donors unaffiliated with workplace campaigns to pledge and donate, and/or volunteer with UWVP and its partner agencies. These strategies can include bulk mail solicitations, social media engagement, event-based opportunities, and others.
- Oversee and manage the design and content of the UWVP website to ensure visibility and accessibility. Manage the creation and sharing of relevant content that describes and promotes UWVP and its partners. Ensure effective means of soliciting and accepting donations and volunteering from viewers.
- Oversee and create visual materials that are in compliance with United Way Worldwide Brand Standards and are consistent with the image, reputation, and messaging of our local United Way. Explore and utilize various platforms and mediums to ensure a diverse portfolio of printed, digital, and other branded materials are available for diverse audiences.
- Monitor the availability and supply of printed materials, branded collateral, and other materials used for community engagement, fundraising, outreach efforts, and collective impact functions.
- Invite leadership giving through affinity groups. Administer and support the volunteer steering committees for each group to plan and execute volunteer and enrichment events including scheduled volunteer days, community learning engagements, and fundraising events.
- Research and identify new community partners within the corporate, government, and nonprofit sector to join UWVP’s collective impact work. Prepare and present compelling digital and visual presentation materials to solidify meaningful partnerships and collaborations that support UWVP, its partners, and address community needs
- Engage in and maintain communication with local members of the press in order to advocate and share with the community pressing needs and community solutions
- Effectively communicate and support Workplace Campaign Coordinators through open and consistent communication across various platforms. Supply and provide various materials and supplies to Coordinators in their workplaces to ensure successful fund development and meaningful engagement for employees. Ensure regular and ongoing communication with coordinators to express appreciation and gratitude, provide information about the impact of UWVP and its partners, and provide ways for meaningful and relevant engagement specific to each unique organization
- Provide compelling presentations to groups of various sizes, backgrounds, and positions within the community. Use verbal and visual communication techniques to communicate meaningful and consistent messaging about UWVP’s mission, role, and impact, the work of our Partner Agencies, and the ways in which audiences can join by donating, volunteering, and advocating.
- Provide information, knowledge, and reporting to UWVP leadership and Campaign Cabinet in order to support the planning and deployment of strategies that engage community partners in executing effective employee giving campaigns. Provide timely reporting to UWVP leadership to measure performance and impact of established and new community relationships and sectors relative to set goals
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Relationship Building skills: ability to engage with and inspire diverse populations in spreading kindness; models kindness even under pressure; exemplifies humility in working collaboratively with community partners
- Project Management skills: including prioritizing, goal setting, and projecting outcomes through account management, resource utilization, and activity levels. Goal and results oriented are a must. Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple projects and deliver high quality, accurate products while operating in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Planning skills: ability to manage frequent in-person and virtual meetings and engagements; fully utilizes a shared calendar to schedule and coordinate events and engagements; plan and support events
- Technical Skills: including using Microsoft Office, social media, graphic design, mass communications, and video conferencing software/platforms. Understands and analyzes CRM data to develop key strategies for revenue generating opportunities.
- Communication skills: including the ability to engage and speak to a diverse audience. Strong interpersonal skills including public speaking and writing as well as expertise in creating content for social media and other written and digital platforms.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with some experience in fundraising/sales/customer service or 4+ years related professional experience
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Experience in program and event management preferred
- Or, a comparable combination of education and work experience.
- Valid driver’s license, automobile insurance, and reliable transportation
- Ability to be up and moving around for long periods of time, up to 8+ hours a day for events and independently complete event set up that may require moving up to 30 pounds.
- Must be able to maintain confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to work a flexible schedule outside of standard office hours, including weekends as needed
Physical Demands and Work Environment
To successfully perform the essential functions of this job, the employee will:
- Engage in ongoing communication in-person as well as through electronic means.
- Regularly use computer laptop, webcam, desk phone, and mobile phone.
- Work in a shared office space
- Frequently sit and/or move throughout the office, travel to offsite meetings and events across the Virginia Peninsula service area.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
Our mission as the United Way of the Virginia Peninsula is to improve the quality of life for people in our community by helping them live their best possible lives. United Way fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our community.
We do this by finding new SOLUTIONS to old problems.
...By forging unlikely PARTNERSHIPS.
...By mobilizing the best RESOURCES.
...By INSPIRING individuals to join the fight.
...By LIVING UNITED.
United Way of the Virginia Peninsula Equity Statement
"We believe that equity is the guiding principle of OUR work and the reason WE exist. By acknowledging the impacts of generational poverty and the historical precedent of racism, bias, and gender inequality, WE are empowered to focus OUR resources and influence on addressing the root causes of poverty and ensuring access to services and economic mobility for ALL."
Send your resume to email@example.com