About United Way of Allen County
Established in 1922, United Way of Allen County is a not-for-profit organization that plays a unique role as a community impact leader, as a leader in the health and human services sector to build trust through all that we do. United Way of Allen County is committed to cultivating and advancing community solutions that addresses the most critical issues our society is facing.
We believe in investing in not only our community, but also in our teammates by nurturing a relational culture and providing employees with a generous benefit package.
We provide Equal Employment Opportunities to all employees and applicants including veterans and those with disabilities.
Purpose of Position
The Director of Marketing and Communications will work closely with the Chief Development Officer (CDO) in managing United Way of Allen County’s (UWAC) marketing and communications programs in alignment with the organization’s mission and vision. Create and implement organizational communications, ensuring a consistent brand experience. Plan and execute effective marketing and strategic communications initiatives and projects that build the United Way brand, strengthening relationships with key constituencies.
Function as an effective brand steward, providing peer-to-peer leadership, training, and support to help all staff deliver the ideal messaging at all times. Oversee digital marketing and communications strategy and tactics. Serve as the organization’s lead media contact, handling both short- and long-term PR activities.
Support United Way's commitment to excellent customer service by facilitating communication and relationship-building with community partners and key stakeholders (United Way staff, local organizations, businesses, and individuals).
It is preferable that applications be submitted by October 7, 2022.
Applications completed in full, including full job history, a cover letter and resume will get priority review.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
25% Digital Marketing and Social Media
- Work closely with the CDO to develop, recommend, implement, coordinate, and analyze strategies, plans, and digital communication activities designed to maximize awareness, drive website traffic and donations, and increase stakeholder engagement
- Oversee work done by Marketing Committee to achieve these goals
- Stay up-to-date on new marketing and communications technologies, trends, and ideas
- Oversee organizational training on use of social media and serve as ambassador and role model for effective use of social media in both organizational and personal contexts
- Creates pertinent content, manages, and provides analysis for all social media at UWAC
- Integrate all Marketing and Communication activities and content to create a holistic, consistent experience.
- Implement and track all multi-channel digital marketing and email campaigns, including the integration of direct mail and other digital content delivery.
- Integrate social media strategies with forward-thinking content and communication plans across various outlets to amplify our message, engage stakeholders, and build new audiences.
35% Marketing and Communications Strategy Development and Implementation
- Work closely with the CDO in developing and directing the implementation of long- and short-range plans for the purpose of meeting the organization’s marketing and communications goals
- Develop an annual marketing and communications tactical plan, including public relations and online marketing. Conceptualize and execute a comprehensive, multi-faceted donor and stakeholder plan that supports the organization’s strategies and objectives, builds relationships with key audiences, and works to position United Way as a leader in the community
- Work closely with Community Impact staff to understand United Way’s “product” in order to present clear information to the community (media, donors, volunteers, staff, etc.)
- Develop and conduct ongoing research to support the planning and development of organization marketing strategy and tactics
- Work with the CDO in the implementation of marketing objectives to ensure effective and consistent communication messages
- Work with other internal departments to integrate marketing and communications strategies
- Serve as liaison with internal and external customers for messaging/theme materials and key communication strategy development
- Stay current with all available market research and advise the CDO on community issues, donor trend, and any other factors that may influence the effective positioning of the organization
- Follow the progress of United Way Worldwide (UWW) in branding, marketing and communications tools, and research
- Assumes primary staff responsibility for Marketing Committee meetings, overseeing the activities of the committee and providing expertise to volunteers in organizing and developing successful campaign and marketing strategies.
- Develop new opportunities to raise awareness of the United Way brand locally
- Manage year-round donor communications, advertising, printing, and publications
- Responsible for the direction of all marketing and communication materials, including negotiating timelines and obtaining stakeholder buy-in
- Develop budget forecasts for the organization’s marketing and communication projects and monitor and control expenses to meet those forecasts
- Write, edit, and manage publication of the printed newsletter
- Write and edit other internal and external publications and collateral as required
- Review weekly and monthly marketing metrics reports and use this data to evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s efforts and recommend changes to strategies and tactics
- Ensure that every department is participating in checking materials for accuracy and taking full advantage of every opportunity to properly position United Way as an inclusive, uplifting, energetic and engaging organization
10% Media Relations
- In partnership with the CDO, oversee the development and maintenance of a favorable public and media relations environment for UWAC
- Work with the CDO to establish media and community outreach objectives
- Develop relationships with media and execute personalized pitches to reporters
- Strategically position UWAC as a local thought leader on the topic of community issues and solutions
- Proactively develop targeted stories for placement in all communications channels, including print, internet, radio and television outlets
- Initiate and coordinate media interviews, photo opportunities, press conferences, and events
- Work with internal staff to identify newsworthy events, programs, etc.
- In partnership with the CDO and CEO, serve as a spokesperson for UWAC in dealing with the general public, media, and other specific constituencies. (This includes potentially speaking on camera.)
- Review news coverage alerts and alert the CDO and organizational leadership to any news affecting the organization or our community and fundraising environment
- Monitor local, regional, and national news related to UWAC’s work and stay abreast of trends and pertinent announcements
- Provide talking points for staff and volunteers that reflect feedback from donor research and current-year business plans, and clearly support the mission of United Way. Provide coaching on presenting the message as needed
- Work with staff, marketing consultants, and volunteers to ensure consistency in content and tone of all communications
- Participate in the development, facilitation, and presentation of all training, ensuring on-brand messaging
- Partner with all critical internal and external stakeholders to help develop a storytelling plan for the organization, including training and timeline
- Develop and update the organization’s crisis communication plan, as needed
- Maintain an advertising program to promote achievement of United Way goals and objectives
- Responsible for managing the advertising budget, ensuring all media buys are timely and include in-kind donations
5% Special Events
- Apply marketing strategy to events as coordinated with Director of Advancement, which may include budget, communications, signage, and registration
- Write and edit scripts as needed for events
Additional Responsibilities - Ongoing
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with United Way staff and external customers
- Serve on integrated staff teams assigned to cross-departmental branding projects. Act as team leader when assigned
- Use tact and judgment in dealing with others and effectively influence people in all types of positions
- Provide exceptional customer service to both internal and external customers
- Attend organizational, departmental, and committee meetings as directed
- Travel to designated meetings and events throughout the community
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (Communications, marketing, journalism, public relations discipline or business administration strongly preferred).
- At least three to five years of progressive experience in a similar role; media relations experience strongly preferred.
- Will consider candidate with equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Established relationships with local media contacts a plus
- Budget management experience preferred
- Knowledge of strategic business planning helpful
- Volunteer management and/or fundraising experience a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Visionary: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction, and motivation.
- Team-Builder: First ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust, and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
- Outward Turning: Understands the dynamics of local, regional, and national environments, and works on an agenda rooted in the community’s own perception of its needs and aspirations.
- Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
- Network-Oriented: Values the power of networks; striving to leverage United Way’s breadth of community presence, relationships, and strategy.
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
- Interact effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to persuade and influence others around ideas, decisions, and financial support.
- Ability to work autonomously with a minimal amount of supervision, and to excel in an entrepreneurial, self-starting and fast paced environment.
- Superb writing and editing skills across traditional and electronic media channels, familiarity with AP style, communications experience writing content for the Web, including blogs and social media.
- Advanced knowledge of grammatical composition and strong proofreading skills
- Expert-level proficiency in MS Office
- Ability to manage multiple activities and assignments with occasional conflicting timelines - ensures information is complete and accurate, follows up with others
to ensure agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
- A proven understanding of what content works best in the various social and digital channels. Anticipating and adopting innovations in business and building/applying digital and technology applications.
- Excellent customer service, follow through, professionalism, and courtesy
- Excellent reading comprehension, listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of print production and the technical aspects of digital marketing.
- Understanding of Adobe Creative Suite and digital marketing tools a plus.
- Working knowledge of the community and nonprofit sector
- Must be proficient and comfortable with use of a computer and its applications including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), among other items; Customer Relations Management (CRM) experience preferred
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Constant exposure to work environment is typically controlled, agreeable, and in a non-smoking office, though travel may occasionally expose employee to inclement weather conditions.
- A person in this position needs to constantly move about inside the office and during frequent off-site meetings.
- Frequent activity associated with attending meetings within the organization and meeting external constituents.
- Frequently attend local meetings. Occasional annual United Way (UW) conference attendance is needed as determined by supervisor.
- Regarding meetings: observing the presenter or information being relayed, as well as detecting the message, and exchanging information is a requirement.
- The employee will occasionally be required to audibly address/convey information to large groups of people in an indoor setting.
- Frequently communicate with others and/or express oneself via meetings, over the telephone, and through written channels.
- Constantly recognize and discern written material.
- Constantly operate typical office equipment (telephone, copier, printer, fax, computer, keyboard, etc.).
- Employee will seldomly need to position themselves to lower spaces or ground floor to reference objects/items or information such as literature.
- On an infrequent/seldom basis, employee may need to move items up to twenty-five (25) pounds when preparing for meetings, events, or gatherings.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- Constantly ascend/descend stairs (while inside UWAC’s office building, an elevator is available for use).
- Must have a valid driver’s license, daily access to reliable transportation, and proof of current automobile insurance.
- Frequently required to drive/operate a car.
- Ability to periodically work evenings and weekends/outside the standard 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM timeframe
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the employer has the right to revise this job description at any time with or without notice.
Should you require assistance or a reasonable accommodation to access job postings, apply for a position, or at any time throughout the recruiting process, please contact Human Resources at 260-413-4123 (phone) or via email at HR@uwacin.org or Sheena.Leugers@AnCorHR.com.