As Major Gift Officer, you will serve as a key member of the Transformational/High-net worth Giving & Experiences Team, reporting directly to the Vice President, Transformation Resourcing and working closely with the Director, Young Men United.
This role will be part strategic advisor as well as direct fundraiser and skilled relationship manager. You will join an experienced group of major gift professionals who develop and activate major and planned giving strategies that help United Way Worldwide (UWW) and its Network raise more than $1 billion annually. Team members are part of the Investor Relations group, working collectively to build the capacity of our global Network of 1,200 local United Way communities and secure $4.8 billion to meet UWW’s mission.
In this important role you will have demonstrated success in major gift fundraising and working with High-net worth individuals (HNWI). Your broad experience raising seven-figure+ investments, combined with your knowledge of major gift fundraising best practices, sets you apart. You are innovative, self-motivated, work independently, with key senior volunteers, and as a member of a high-performing team.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF POSITION
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty listed below at a satisfactory level:
- Research, develop and implement strategies for securing increased and new investments of $100,000 - $1M+ from HNWI to accelerate organizational goals.
- Build (identify and research), cultivate, and steward a portfolio of HNWI donors driving activity against key metrics. Investments will be in support of UWW and may be in partnership with local United Ways (U.S. and/or global).
- Establish and track progress against measurable monetary goals and related activities. Build and manage a portfolio generating a minimum of $1M - $2M in annual investments with approximately 125 qualified active donors and prospects.
- Create individualized cultivation/stewardship plans with priority for principal gift opportunities. Evaluate capacity to increase giving and personal commitment through research, briefings, and relationships. Provide support to secure investments through investment level recommendations and related communication material development.
- Engage, lead, and collaborate with all groups and cross-functional teams on strategy for principal gift opportunities. Acknowledge donors as part of stewardship plan using a variety of communication methods including correspondence from other key executives and volunteers. Support key volunteers and senior Executives at UWW in this cultivation/stewardship.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position is critical to the organization’s overall success and supports a renewed focus on major and transformational individual giving with a focus on investments in United Way Worldwide.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree and 8-10 years fundraising experience.
- Five years of advanced-level, individual fundraising managing a HNWI portfolio, including prospect identification, cultivation, stewardship, and recognition strategies.
- Demonstrated success in securing seven-figure+ gifts
- Experience with volunteer structures such as a Campaign Cabinet or equivalent.
- Advanced level knowledge/use of MS Office products and CRM database management.
- Some travel is expected with potential for increased travel over time.
Preferred requirements include:
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in non-profit fundraising or institutional advancement.
- Advanced fundraising experience with demonstrated use of moves management strategies resulting in seven-figure+ gifts. Understands a donor-centric approach to fundraising based on deep sector knowledge.
- Exceptional donor relationship management skills.
- Experience co-creating aligned investment solutions for current and prospective donors.
- Meaningful experience in or knowledge of all key development areas (major, annual, and planned giving, and corporate and foundation relations). A broad understanding of multi-faceted campaign planning, implementation, and management.
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service. Poised, professional manner with the ability to express oneself clearly and empathetically in interactions with others in all forms of communications, verbal and written, one-on-one and group, etc.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable disabled individuals to perform the essential functions of the job.
NOTE: If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted.
ABOUT UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE
United Way Worldwide seeks diverse, qualified professionals who want to make a difference in the world. If you are passionate about your work and desire to help others achieve enhanced education, income, and health, United Way Worldwide is the place for you.
United Way Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, disability, veteran status, marital status, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, and other legally protected characteristics, in accordance with applicable laws. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please e-mail email@example.com or call 703-683-7863 and provide the nature of your request and your contact information.
We are a charter member of Employers of National Service and encourage AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni to apply.
United Way Worldwide is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including: health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, employee assistance program, 403(b) plan, tuition assistance, paid time off, family sick leave, medical appointment leave, parental/adoption leave, dress for your day, free parking, onsite gym, monthly volunteering opportunities, and more.
UNITED WAY WORLDWIDE’S DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLE
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion for every person in every community.