Title: Director of Leadership Giving and Affinity Groups
Reports To: VP of Resource Development
Status: Regular Full-time/Salary/Non-Exempt
Core Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM: Must be able to work a flexible schedule with the possibility of some early morning and evening
Date: October 2018
GENERAL FUNCTIONS: Responsible for the development and execution of comprehensive strategies for UWP Leadership Giving Societies and Affinity Groups and the achievement of growth, retention, participation, and revenue goals. Works across departments to manage and direct activities that create deep, meaningful engagement of the individuals and prospects of UWP Leadership Giving Societies and Affinity Groups. Ensures the execution of tailored programs and initiatives necessary to position United Way as the primary philanthropic conduit between individuals, their companies, and the communities in which they reside and operate through year-round engaging experiences. Manages the execution of tailored programs and initiatives necessary to engage individual donors outside of our traditional societies and affinity groups, using data analytics to determine donor interests and how to engage with them in the most appropriate and effective manner. Oversees the volunteer strategies of the leadership societies and affinity groups, ensuring the engagement and execution of volunteer roles and responsibilities. This position reports to the Vice President, Resource Development.
Manage UWP Affinity Groups – Women United, Young Leaders, Lead United (25%)
- Lead cross-functional team that includes engagement, marketing and events associates to develop year-round activities and opportunities that create meaningful experiences, develop donors and increase dollars. This includes event coordination, volunteer engagement, communications and prospecting activities.
- Coordinate Advisory Boards for each entity that draws on the perspective and skills of volunteers to deepen the relationships of those volunteers with UWP and to create the best experience for affinity group membership. This includes setting and attending meetings, ongoing communication with volunteers about activities, progress and needs and UWP work.
- Makes certain key volunteers are identified and leveraged in the implementation and execution of the roles and strategies of assigned societies. Ensures existing volunteers are engaged in the recruitment and advancement strategies of the groups.
- Develop new “Lead United” group that engages professionals in their 30’s and 40’s who are well-established in career and have the ability to support UWP at the leadership level and above.
- Manage time and resources so that strategic emphasis is placed on creating a pathway for donors to grow in their engagement, knowledge and financial support of UWP.
- Oversee and engage in the implementation of affinity groups within workplace giving campaigns.
Lead efforts to strengthen and grow Alexis de Tocqueville membership (25%)
- Coordinate ADT Advisory Board to draw on the perspective and skills of volunteers to strengthen relationships with ADT members, identify and connect with prospective ADT members and grow membership
- Actively steward current and prospective ADT members via visits, phone calls, emails, etc. to meet goals of position.
- Lead cross-departmental teams to develop year-round engagement, educational and appreciation activities that deepen relationships and increase understanding between UWP and ADT donors.
- Lead efforts between RD and CI teams to identify areas of work that connect to interests of high-capacity ADT donors to solicit for high-impact investment
- Ensure that all important information about ADT members and prospects is accurate and captured in CRM system
- Use technology and contacts to Identify and cultivate ADT prospects
Support efforts to strengthen Leadership Giving (20%)
- Lead a cross-departmental working group to collaborate and develop a communications, marketing and appreciation plan to support Leadership program stewardship and recognition activities
- Develop methods for improving retention of donor base, migrating donors’ giving and cultivating new donors.
- Work with Campaign team to ensure all leadership donor data, including recognition names and levels, is accurate.
- Coordinate General Daniel Morgan Leadership Advisory Board to draw on the perspective and skills of volunteers to steward Leadership Society membership
- Manage database and reporting tools to track retained and lost leadership donors
Lead efforts to develop new methods to retain and prospect for Individual Giving (15%)
- Lead a cross-departmental working group to collaborate, develop and drive a communications and marketing plan that reaches donors not in the traditional workplace campaign.
- Carry out at least two solicitation mailings to individual donors each year
- Analyze opportunities to create paths for individual donors to become engaged in affinity groups, engagement opportunities and giving societies.
- Ensure retirees are included in Individual Giver solicitations.
Research and Analysis (10%)
- Create reports for Advisory Boards, UWP Management Committee and UWP Board of Directors
- Stay abreast of best practices and trends in United Way network and within the Fundraising profession.
- Seek out opportunities to develop the knowledge of RD team around leadership fundraising activities.
- Become proficient in use of CRM system to pull and manage information.
- Manage a small number of workplace giving accounts
- Passion for United Way Mission & Values
- Relationship Building
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Time/Project Management
- Technologically Proficient
- Bachelor’s degree required in related field
- Five+ years’ experience in consultative sales in either for-profit or nonprofit entities
- United Way experience preferred
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with United Way staff and external customers
- Focused sales/marketing experience with an applied emphasis on customer relationship building
- Effective oral and written communications skills with an ability to relate with a diverse group of individuals or organizations in an effective manner
- Effective public speaker
- Ability to think strategically with proven, strong ability to execute on plan
- Ability to take initiative and be creating in thinking and solutions
- High-energy individual who takes initiative with a positive outlook who can manage ambiguity and change
- Demonstrated ability to manage a portfolio of assigned accounts
- Use tact and judgment in dealing with others and effectively influence people in all types of positions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook required
- Proficient overall computer skills (familiarity with CRM systems preferred)
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way of the Piedmont
- Valid driver’s license and access to transportation throughout the workday
- Ability to work early morning and evening hours when needed
- Good physical condition with the ability to bend, lift up to 50 pounds and withstand the demands of an active position
- Able to read, write, understand, and speak English fluently
- Perform other duties as assigned
Resumes with cover letters should be mailed to:
United Way of the Piedmont
ATTN: VP of Resource Development
PO Box 5624
Spartanburg, SC 29304
Or emailed to email@example.com